AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-06-2020, 08:03 PM

Question A newer preamp/control center?

As the signature shows, we own a Mac MX130...and, without getting into it too much, we really like having the ability to delay sound via its Hall Mode. Nevertheless, it's not a truly dedicated surround processor, so I was thinking about a [possible] change.

If you were looking for a newer Mac preamp/control center -- but don't wish to spend the big bucks on state of the art -- which model would you be shopping for?

To clarify, we would like to have a Mac unit that was designed with both (2) and (5) [or even (7)] channels in mind -- without taking out another mortgage to buy it.

Thank you for your time ~ Bill

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 AM

The good news is the prices drop real quickly on the Mac HT preamps as the years go on. The only experience I have is with the MX135, I used it as both a DAC and a 2-channel pre, it has some sort of 2 channel direct mode that removes everything else from the signal chain. After that you're stepping up into something like the MX150, but I'm not sure those have really dropped all that much yet.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:57 PM

I've owned a MX-119 & a MX-135 in the past. I appreciated the MX-135's balanced inputs for use with my DAC and huge array of audio & video inputs. I never felt slighted by not having HDMI in either unit as I like having my video connected directly from the source to the monitor.

I now own a MX-151 which is a very good pre-amp/processor. I will admit I am not using the HDMI function as I am still running HDMI directly from the sources to my monitor as before.

The MX-151 has proven to be a 2 channel and 5.1 channel sonic wonder compared to my two previous MX units. I got it for a great price from Audio Classics.

I'd highly recommend it as one of the units you should investigate before you make your purchase decision.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Arrow Funny you should mention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
I've owned a MX-119 & a MX-135 in the past. I appreciated the MX-135's balanced inputs for use with my DAC and huge array of audio & video inputs. I never felt slighted by not having HDMI in either unit as I like having my video connected directly from the source to the monitor.

I now own a MX-151 which is a very good pre-amp/processor. I will admit I am not using the HDMI function as I am still running HDMI directly from the sources to my monitor as before.

The MX-151 has proven to be a 2 channel and 5.1 channel sonic wonder compared to my two previous MX units. I got it for a great price from Audio Classics.

I'd highly recommend it as one of the units you should investigate before you make your purchase decision.
...Audio Classics, Michael. I was just speaking to one of their folks yesterday...and, after posing Mac Control Center questions to him, he suggested the MX170 and the MX123 as multi-channel preamp possibilities. He also suggested that I look into the MC207 and the MC205, but that's an amp discussion that might actually require its own thread...

Regardless, I appreciate your words on the MX151 and I will surely do some research on it. The words "...sonic wonder compared to my two previous MX units" really caught my attention, so your point is well taken, sir. Thank you.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
As the signature shows, we own a Mac MX130...and, without getting into it too much, we really like having the ability to delay sound via its Hall Mode. Nevertheless, it's not a truly dedicated surround processor, so I was thinking about a [possible] change.

If you were looking for a newer Mac preamp/control center -- but don't wish to spend the big bucks on state of the art -- which model would you be shopping for?

To clarify, we would like to have a Mac unit that was designed with both (2) and (5) [or even (7)] channels in mind -- without taking out another mortgage to buy it.

Thank you for your time ~ Bill
Bill....about 2-1/2 years ago I converted my bedroom 2 channel system to a McIntosh-based 5.1 channel system. Going by the advice of our late friend Dan aka jdandy, I bought myself a used MX120 along with an MC206 amp. Dan had been very pleased with his MX120, which I had heard a few times and was impressed with. It sounds great, has HDMI switching, and will easily accommodate a 7.1 setup if desired.

If what you want is a high quality, reliable processor that will sound great without breaking the bank going by something like the MX150/151, then you should give this one some thought. You can easily find one of these on the secondary market for a couple grand, maybe even less.

I love mine; frankly I'm a bit surprised the MX120 doesn't come up more often in this type of discussion. It does have a reputation for very good sound and trouble-free performance.

If you're interested, here's a link to my thread that I started when I set my bedroom theater up. I get TONS of enjoyment from it.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41665

Good luck!

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 08-07-2020, 05:49 PM

Great points, Pete.

I did consider the MX-120 during my search for a new unit after my MX-135 expired and the only thing that held me back from pulling the trigger on it was the fact that the MX-151 had those two sets of balanced XLR inputs. The MX-120 pricing was certainly attractive!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:51 PM

Bill...I hope I was of some help.

Good luck with your search and don't forget to fill us in if and when a new unit is selected!

Oh, and we like pics of the new gear additions as well.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:57 PM

Talking Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Bill....about 2-1/2 years ago I converted my bedroom 2 channel system to a McIntosh-based 5.1 channel system. Going by the advice of our late friend Dan aka jdandy, I bought myself a used MX120 along with an MC206 amp. Dan had been very pleased with his MX120, which I had heard a few times and was impressed with. It sounds great, has HDMI switching, and will easily accommodate a 7.1 setup if desired.

If what you want is a high quality, reliable processor that will sound great without breaking the bank going by something like the MX150/151, then you should give this one some thought. You can easily find one of these on the secondary market for a couple grand, maybe even less.

I love mine; frankly I'm a bit surprised the MX120 doesn't come up more often in this type of discussion. It does have a reputation for very good sound and trouble-free performance.

If you're interested, here's a link to my thread that I started when I set my bedroom theater up. I get TONS of enjoyment from it.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41665

Good luck!
We're headed out to look at A/V room furniture right now, Pete, but I have to say that glancing at your first couple of photos is a bona fide hook-setter. Wow! I'm sure to get some enjoyment out of that thread, no doubt.

Is that a mono block Mac amp I see in your cabinet?

Old 08-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
We're headed out to look at A/V room furniture right now, Pete, but I have to say that glancing at your first couple of photos is a bona fide hook-setter. Wow! I'm sure to get some enjoyment out of that thread, no doubt.

Is that a mono block Mac amp I see in your cabinet?
If you mean the amp in the background here, yes. It is one of three MC501's that I have in my main system.

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 08-07-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:57 AM

Question Mx-xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Great points, Pete.

I did consider the MX-120 during my search for a new unit after my MX-135 expired and the only thing that held me back from pulling the trigger on it was the fact that the MX-151 had those two sets of balanced XLR inputs. The MX-120 pricing was certainly attractive!
Michael..... Could I trouble you for a bit more information about your MX-XXX experiences? For example, I'd like to read more about what happened to your MX135.