AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Monumental XVX Review by Robert Harley of TAS

September 2020 issue 308. "I've never listened to a speaker quite like the Chronosonic XVX. It is the most realistic sounding, the most musically expressive, and the most intellectually and emotionally engaging loudspeaker I've heard." Robert Harley Editor-in-Chief The Absolute Sound. I have great respect for this man. The review is 12 full pages and the photography is beautiful done by John Giolas who wrote "The Wilson Way".

This is a review worth reading. Robert has written countless reviews and many books on Audio. He is the consummate pro. I believe he would agree with me when I say it is the greatest, longest, most comprehensive review he has ever written.

I have owned three Wilson speakers, Maxx3, Alexx, and now finally my XVX. I humbly believe I understand a few things about Wilsons. Unless you simply have the money to burn, I don't think you should buy an XVX as a first speaker. One of my biggest apprehensions (and I voiced this on AA) was whether the XVX was above my station in life. I felt comfortable with my Maxx3 and my Alexx and I enjoyed both speakers immensely. Wilsons are amazing in the sense that their flaws are well disguised. You only realize them when you hear a better Wilson.

At the very end of his review he mentions an amazing property of the XVX. Its ability to compensate for power amplifier delay. Robert spends a good deal of time on this, explaining that one month after the "final" installation, John Giolas moved the tweeter module back by the equivalent of 3.5 microseconds to compensate for his Hercules II's group delay. "If you had not heard the compensated version you wouldn't have thought anything was amiss, but the compensation was a worthwhile improvement." He goes on to state how the compensation was easy to hear.

This is quite above me. That's simply amazing. I'm a layperson, not a pro. However, when I first heard Wilsons many years ago I noticed that they were the only speakers that were absolutely meant for on axis listening. However you windup with a Wilson after all the adjustments, etc. the left tweeter should be aimed at your left ear and the right at your right ear. If you don't like the way the Wilson sounds with this arrangement, maybe you should get another speaker.

Robert describes in his conclusion the "physicality" of the XVX as its essence. For me at my station I describe it as "humility". My XVX could have sounded terrible in my room and with my gear. It's one thing to spend a hundred grand on a much smaller speaker (my Alexx). It sounded great in my room with my equipment. My XVX sounds even much better in all respects to the point that I can say it's the best high end purchase I ever made.

Best

Charles

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 08-12-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Yes, I read that article, and RH is over the moon with it. He was gushing the entire way through, reaching for words to describe what he was hearing.

I've heard the XVX, it is very very good. I still kinda think the article was over the top! But I didn't hear it with the matching subs, either.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Go Dawgs

Honestly I think there would be major issues if he DIDN'T gush over a $300 something thousand dollar loudspeaker. It better be that good for the price or there's some serious issues.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Charles, I like what you said about on-axis listening. I cringe when i see pics on the internet of Wilsons pointed straight ahead, because I know for a fact that the owner is not enjoying them the way he or she could be. It's not even up for debate. These are designed to be pointed directly at your ears.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Yes, I read that article, and RH is over the moon with it. He was gushing the entire way through, reaching for words to describe what he was hearing.

I've heard the XVX, it is very very good. I still kinda think the article was over the top! But I didn't hear it with the matching subs, either.
Marc you also didn't hear XVX in the very best of rooms. I would suspect that the XVX's that your dealer has installed in customers' homes would eclipse those in the store by a pretty good margin.

Having set up many in many different places, and having heard the one in the Wilson Music Room, I would suggest that there is even more to XVX than Robert was able to squeeze into his review.

As always, ymmv
Old 08-12-2020, 01:08 PM

Folks, I appreciate your comments greatly. However, 329,000 in absolute terms is not an expensive speaker. There are more than numerous loudspeakers over 300,000 dollars. Robert has been around the block. His gear and credentials are impeccable. He has been a proponent of Magico for years and I know for a fact he has always favored sealed bass. For him to state the bass of the XVX is the best he has heard is remarkable. I believe the XVX is now his reference speaker. I have avoided describing the sound of the XVX on AA because I don't know exactly what to say. I have been waiting on Robert's review. I totally agree with everything he has said. The XVX brings out the very best in your gear. Many speakers expose flaws. The XVX exposes the "good" in a system. That's the kind of loudspeaker I want to own. If you are really into high end audio, you should cut off your left arm (not your right if you are right handed) to own an XVX. It is that good.

Best Charles

Last edited by Charles; 08-12-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Folks, I appreciate your comments greatly. However, 329,000 in absolute terms is not an expensive speaker.
Best Charles
Yes it is. Out of every model consumer loudspeaker available, it is most likely in the top 1 to 2 percent of models available for purchase.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-12-2020, 02:22 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Yes it is. Out of every model consumer loudspeaker available, it is most likely in the top 1 to 2 percent of models available for purchase.

- Buck

And afforded by only those in the top 1% of the most wealthy.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-12-2020, 02:28 PM

Everything is relative. That’s twice the price of my first house, so i consider it expensive.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post

- Buck

Buck, you are absolutely right.
But I think I also understand what Charles means.
There are people who spend 300K on a Ferrari, or a million on a boat. Cheaper options than the Bugatti or the yacht.
He's bought 330K speakers, and not the 550K Tidal La Assoluta, or even more expensive options.
It's all relative in the high end world.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables