AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 PM

Default Great video by Danny Richie on why cables matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
To those who tell me that cables do not matter, I am glad to report them back that all red wines taste the same. For sure they will appreciate the savings.

Box wine all the way, baby. Mass spec of a $1000 bottle and a $10 bottle reveal the same chemical composition, so they are both the same. Perception of taste, like perception of sound, is irrelevant.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 06-30-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Wine experts were wrong when blind folded and asked to tell the difference between red and white wines... So much is left to imagination and creative/descriptive writing and so little substance to it all... No doubt there is difference between wines but there is no way to pin it down to price and personal taste and preference is very subjective.

At an international competition some years back, a new wine company won the prestigious 2nd place after the experts got done tasting/voting. Fancy bottles, fancy name, nice bottle art, etc.. except it was water/vinegar/juice and some other ingredients.... 2nd place!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:06 AM

I finally watched both videos end to end.

The tuner video was specious and without merit, proving nothing but the already known fact that some speaker cables are shielded, others not.

The Winer video was more interesting in that I’ve used null techniques for a long time. It’s a powerful measurement technique that lets you hear what is actually happening in a piece of gear.

But every objective supporter, be it Winer or Amir or someone else, will always, I mean always, make a statement like this:

“The distortion, noise, response, (choose one) is xx dB down and so clearly inaudible.”

Really? What peer- reviewed multi-subject test are they referring to that allows them to state that as fact?

None.

So the debate continues unabated.

At the end of the day, I don’t need anyone to protect me from the evil charlatans out there trying to separate me from my hard earned dollars.

Lamp cord, box wine, cheap whisky - they all have their place. As do fine spirits and well engineered interconnects.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
... As do fine spirits and well engineered interconnects.
Hear, Hear

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 004D28FE-ABED-4729-ABA0-59BDB314CC86.jpeg (36.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:58 PM

I find Danny Richie's "antenna test" interesting in a sidebar context because I worked at San Jose's long-gone Garland Audio in, IIRC, 1978 when Bob Fulton walked in the door carrying--maybe "lugging" is more appropriate--a 28' pair of his new "Gold" 4-gauge speaker cable. The sight of it prompted John Garland to ask, "What are you doing with that towing cable, Bob?"

Fulton, as serious a guy as they come, was not amused. But Garland quit laughing after--with some hasty termination "improvisation" at both the speaker (Magneplanar Tympani 1D) and amp (a pair of ARC D-79s) screw-terminal ends--we managed to hook them up.

Fulton explained that he based his interconnect and speaker cable designs on antenna theory that posited 57" and its multiples as the ideal cable lengths to minimize noise.

(We sold a fair number of his IC's and 14' and 28' lengths of his Gold and smaller-diameter Brown speaker cables. But perhaps the most practical use of the Gold occurred when Garland moved to a new location and we had to take out a wall. Pulling it down with guess-what did the job in a hurry.)

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
I find Danny Richie's "antenna test" interesting in a sidebar context because I worked at San Jose's long-gone Garland Audio in, IIRC, 1978 when Bob Fulton walked in the door carrying--maybe "lugging" is more appropriate--a 28' pair of his new "Gold" 4-gauge speaker cable. The sight of it prompted John Garland to ask, "What are you doing with that towing cable, Bob?"

Fulton, as serious a guy as they come, was not amused. But Garland quit laughing after--with some hasty termination "improvisation" at both the speaker (Magneplanar Tympani 1D) and amp (a pair of ARC D-79s) screw-terminal ends--we managed to hook them up.

Fulton explained that he based his interconnect and speaker cable designs on antenna theory that posited 57" and its multiples as the ideal cable lengths to minimize noise.

(We sold a fair number of his IC's and 14' and 28' lengths of his Gold and smaller-diameter Brown speaker cables. But perhaps the most practical use of the Gold occurred when Garland moved to a new location and we had to take out a wall. Pulling it down with guess-what did the job in a hurry.)
I have a pair of Fulton Gold SPs in my garage! I bought them in 1980. LOL. I specifically remember that the cables could only be sold in multiples of 57".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-01-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:52 PM

This reminded me of Snake River Audio who came up with 1.37 M as the optimal length for their Boomslang digital cables.

https://snakeriveraudio.com/index.ph...facturers_id=4
Old 07-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
This reminded me of Snake River Audio who came up with 1.37 M as the optimal length for their Boomslang digital cables.

https://snakeriveraudio.com/index.ph...facturers_id=4
Well, the reasons for an "optimal length" are well-founded. Shunyata uses 1.5 M as their optimal default minimal lengths for digital cables, and they have very sound, engineering and data-based reasons as to why.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 PM

The cable road goes "ever on and the highway never ends."

I like the wine analogy. Cheap wine can be vile. But...Is a 2000 Carruades de Lafite more enjoyable than a more recent $20 or $25 Amarone from WTSO? Well, perhaps but IMHO not twice so and certainly not 10 or 20 times so.

The opinion that best suits me is "you don't have to spend a lot, but you have to spend some." DIY cables using DH Labs wire match well to my humble sound machine Their Mirage USB is proving to be as good as any USB I have auditioned. Your Mileage Will Certainly Vary.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 AM

As with all of these "religious wars", it really depends on what you are doing. If you have a high level of resolution, $100k+ system in a well treated room of appropriate size, every cable change is noticeable. If you have a $10k all-in system in a small untreated room, then putting a single $3k power cable in won't do much. Maybe replacing ALL the cables with 3k cords will yield some results, but it doesn't seem very cost effective relative to the rest of the gear.

Everything matters, but it's all relative.

You can put together a satisfying solution for $10k, but it's not going to be magical when you add a nice power cord.

Just my opinion!