AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Incredible setup, huge speakers! They must be a joy to listen both at lower levels, but
pushing them as well. The concept of having tubes for the mid and tweeters
and solid state for the bass drivers appeals me a lot. Setting this may be tricky, but
the return must be huge. I would love to listen to this setup.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Hi all
Firstly sorry to hijack this thread and please do tell me if I should put elsewhere but don't' think I can as I don't have enough posts yet to start my own thread!
My zingali's have now shown up and are temporarily setup in the garage while I try them out/configure until I am happy with them and they can make the leap inside. The seller had told me they were completely passive and I just had to connect up to an amp and go as it were. This is what I did and they sounded incredibly harsh and bright with virtually no bass at all. Anyway after taking a woofer out for some investigation it transpires they have all the same drive units as the jbl4355 bar the mid which is a 10". The woofers as with a jbl 4355 are designed to be used actively and luckily I have a temp setup where I am able to try this out. So far I have a low pass of 230hz to the woofers and running them out of phase seems to give the best sound but it's not perfect. Do any of you have any recommendations on a low pass point for the woofers and what phase they should be? As I have a different mid from the jbl 4355 I can't go exactly by the settings of that one.
Thanks
Nick
Old 06-30-2017, 06:18 PM

Which model of 10" driver do you have? I assume you are using an active variable crossover?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:23 AM

Hi
My midrange is the JBL 2123H and I have an active variable crossover for the Bass section at this time. Any ideas on frequency point for the bass then?
Thanks
Nick
Old 07-03-2017, 09:49 AM

The 2123H is a midrange driver designed or high output in PA systems. It isn't very linear at low frequencies and isn't rated by JBL for that application. This suggests crossing out of the bass driver at 200Hz or higher. Mind your level matching as the 2123 is quite sensitive.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:21 AM

I see this speaker in audiophile setups a lot. Whats the big deal about?

Pardon my ignorance, but it looks like antiquated technology. Woud love to hear a pair one day and see what I am missing.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
I see this speaker in audiophile setups a lot. Whats the big deal about?

Pardon my ignorance, but it looks like antiquated technology. Woud love to hear a pair one day and see what I am missing.

I have a DIY 4350, most of what I listen to these days are classical with a little jazz, strictly acoustic music. The 4350 technology goes back to mid 1970’s, a lot has changed since that time, on the average speakers have become much smaller thanks to “space age” materials and technology, but one thing that has not changed are the laws of physics, high efficiency large speakers are in a different league compared to current crop of speakers, If you can find a good 4350 to audition with a well recorded material you are in for a surprise.
Highly compressed pop records sound like **** on these 4350’s, and anyone that claims that JBL’s are ideal for pop and rock has not experienced one of these speakers with uncompressed orchestral recordings.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Hi Guys
Sorry again to hi-jack someone else's thread but thought I would update on the Zingali 8850's. Finally got them setup temporarily in my garage using a devialet 220 for top end and 2 advance acoustic monoblocks for the bass and a behringer dcx2496 for low end crossover. They sound wonderful on jazz music and okay on everything else at the moment. I think this is because currently I am running the 3 upper drivers with no low pass filter just their own internal passive crossover as going through the behringer introduces too much hiss to the top end. I have managed to source a JBL 5235 with the correct 250hz 12db card and it's on route and I am expecting/hoping this will make a big change, I will then just need a another power amp to run the tops and just have the devialet as the pre-amp.
So any advice on further setup options and an amplifier for the top end?

Also how do I upload pics, it want a URL can't I just upload from my computer?

Thanks
Nick
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM

With the 10" Mid try 250Hz for the crossover point, i think that is what most people do with 4350 and 4355s. On my 4345s with the 8" Mid and 18" Woofer I cross at 290Hz....