AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Bluebeat, hope you didn't take my response as disagreeing with you. IN total agreement. Right now it's well worth getting the QX5 Twenty. They will eventually get an even better DAC out, but who knows when and honestly, how much??? This QX 5 will be just like their other digital and punch very high. It really is a digital hub. I've never seen another DAC with ten outstanding inputs. Very cool if you as me.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM

We're fine, ctsooner

Last edited by bluebeat; 08-10-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:59 AM

Looking like this QX5 is punching WAY above what I expected and I'm thankful. I got rid of a GREAT DAC to go this route. I should have more later today as I am getting info from my dealer who's also a friend and very honest (if he didn't like this DAC, he's be polite and I just wouldn't post and let folks use others info to see if they want to audition it).

Glad we're good.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
It seems like they are focusing on the 5 series and then the ref series. The 7 isn't getting upgrades that I know of, so I would doubt the 9 would either. The Codex is as good as the 9 in a few ways and not quite in others, but it's so much less and hits a different audience. That said, the Codex gives you all of those inputs and a balanced headphone amp that is very good.

I"ll ask Alex to see if he's willing to share anything on Saturday at the QX5 event at Audio Connections in NJ.

I still wish that they give a little love to the V5xe. I'm probably dreaming in technicolor but, it wouldn't take much to give the v5xe a refresh by, for example, improving its low end. I imagine that the main reason why the V5xe has not been archived and is still on sale is that Ayre doesn't yet have a new 'low end' amplifier in its stable.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:51 PM

They don't 'have the time or money to work on an older design. They honestly have kept most of their older designs updated longer than most do. They just refreshed and updated the VX5 to the Twenty series and that's all I'd expect from them. The 7 and 9 series are gone.

They have so many things going on right now. They have to make newer and better products in order to survive, but the nice thing is that they will keep everything updated as much as they can. I forget what the normal life span of their amps are, but it's probably as long as the V5xe and 7's were on the market. Both got midterm upgrades I believe.

Not trying to be snarky, just saying to wait on it as they have so many projects going that you should like. The nice thing is that the Ayre stuff keeps it's value so if you want to upgrade, you should be able to eventually get a new amp. The real money in hi end right now is the super expensive stuff and for Ayre, that stuff pays for the lower priced gear. Personally I wonder if they will come out with a Codex amp and pre or something like that. If so, I'd assume it would be just below the new 5 series amp. That's total speculation on my part as I haven't spoken to anyone at Ayre about the Codex amp etc...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Loved my QB-9.

Last edited by Blackstone; 11-04-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 AM

They will replace the 7-series that's a save guess. That will mean there will be a new dac (and an integrated amp, I think), less expensive then the QX-5, which suites me. The price point you're mentioning makes sense.

Many remaining questions of course.. Fir starters: when? Comparing to the QX-5, which functionalities and technical features won't be included and which will? At least it will be RoonReady and it will also be a headphone amp, I think, but apart from that it's guessing. I'm curious, to say the least ;-)
Old 11-02-2016, 10:41 AM

We will all find out soon enough, lol. Ayre's business model has and will always be a complete product line. Heck, in between the Codex and the QX5 are very few DACS that sound as good. The Codex is as good as any I've heard from 4k down so far. The QX5 Twenty sounds as good as most any DAC I've personally heard going into the 20k range and it's incremental differences at best. the QX5 to me is still the most musical DAC I've auditioned under 20k so far and it's not close. Newer and updated Dacs are now as digital is really coming of age.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:27 PM

I called and talked to Ayre a month or so ago. I have the first version of the QB9 and was considering the DSD upgrade. The guy on the phone strongly suggested I go with the CODEX. His take is that it is newer technology and will sound better than an upgraded QB9. I haven't heard the CODEX so I'll leave that comparison to others. But, that would indicate to me they would likely not be planning a QB9 upgrade. Regardless, I have decided to go with the QX5. Y'all have been a bad influence on me:-). I'll probably wait until after the holidays to pull that trigger.
Speakers:
Wilson Sasha 1
Digital Sources:
Ayre QX-5 Music Hub/ DAC
Ayre CX-7-E mp CD player
SGC sonicTransporter
Turntable:
Brinkmann Bardo
12” Brinkmann arm w/ Lyra Delos
Cables:
Cardas Clear
Old 12-12-2016, 12:39 PM

I understand that Ayre designers implemented some new ideas, board layout was mentioned, when they design the Pono player and then the Codex. The QB9 implementation is different enough to be a problem to upgrade.