AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 AM

Default Has anyone compared the KX-R to the KX-5 yet?

I'm still very interested in the KX-R, but I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to compare it with the KX-5 as of yet that can quanitfy the audible differences.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Same here. I currently have the K-5xeMP preamp. I would either go with the KX-5 or the KX-R. Hopefully, Ayre will introduce the Diamond circuit to the "R" series. Hopefully it would be an upgrade on the existing KX-R. Since I'm not sure perhaps I'll do the KX-5 and wait and see.

I just might upgrade my V-5xe to the VX-5 while I'm at it....I could easily live with the KX-5/VX-5 combo in the meanwhile.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM

The one thing we don't know is if there would be a point to introducing the Diamond circuit to the R series; the R series' performance may already exceed that of the Diamond circuit, and I find it telling that Ayre introduced it into the 5 series first.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Same here. I currently have the K-5xeMP preamp. I would either go with the KX-5 or the KX-R. Hopefully, Ayre will introduce the Diamond circuit to the "R" series. Hopefully it would be an upgrade on the existing KX-R. Since I'm not sure perhaps I'll do the KX-5 and wait and see.

I just might upgrade my V-5xe to the VX-5 while I'm at it....I could easily live with the KX-5/VX-5 combo in the meanwhile.
KX-5/VX-5 is ridiculously good. I have heard both combos (KX-R/MX-R and KX-5/VX-5) and I think there may be a group of people who would prefer the latter. I think they've outdone themselves again with this latest generation. It's hard for me to quantify the difference (been a while since i had a good listen to a KX-R) but if you get the chance, don't rule out the KX-5 though it's less than half the price. There's a reason they are considering updating the R series with the diamond output stage!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbient View Post
There's a reason they are considering updating the R series with the diamond output stage!
Yes, but is it a reason other than a marketing one?

I can see sales of their flagship products being affected simply because people don't see them as incorporating Ayre's "latest" technology.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Billk, I suggest you listen to a VX-5 and then you will see that it is definitely not marketing hype, and that it certainly will be incorporated into their top tier products. Or, bring home an AX-5 for an evening. Great stuff!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardave View Post
Billk, I suggest you listen to a VX-5 and then you will see that it is definitely not marketing hype, and that it certainly will be incorporated into their top tier products.
So are you stating a KX-5 sounds better than a KX-R?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 AM

I haven't heard the KX-5, so no, I don't know about that. My comment was in reference to your comment on whether the diamond output stage was merely marketing hype. I don't believe it is. And no, I have not extensively compared, in my home, the VX-5 to the MX-R's. I will only state the the VX-5 is a really great amp, and the first Ayre that I really wanted to own. It sounds very clear, musical, and open. It is very revealing of the little musical nuances that make performances unique. It is a direct sounding amp, like an SET in that regard.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't making myself clear.

What I was trying to say is that even if the Diamond Circuit doesn't improve the sound of the KX-R, Ayre may feel compelled solely because of marketing reasons to add it on the basis that people will notice the KX-5 contains the Diamond Circuit and will wonder why their flagship pre does not.

At the very least some will then wait to make a purchase convinced an update must be in the works.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM

I'm also interested in this comparison. I have a VX-R and I am currently using an Audio Research LS-27 as a pre-amp. I am wondering if replacing my pre-amp with an Ayre KX-5 would make sense. Obviously the KX-R would mate very well with the VX-R but it is much more expensive-- is it worth the extra dollars?