AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Default Anaconda CX or Alpha HC (or else)

I have been searching the forums in old threads but could not find a direct answer to my interrogations..

I currently have a Black Mamba HC/CX plugged into my Bryston BDA-3 and it sounds fabulous. The difference between the stock cord and the BM is simply astonishing. I was not expecting it would make such a huge difference on a DAC.

I have always been found of the CX line so that is why I purchased one BM HC/CX on the used market as I had experience with those a few years ago (that I regretfully sold..)

Now I am using a XLO Ultra X-10 I borrowed from a friend in the meantime I find something more suitable for my integrated amplifier (vintage CA-1000 modified with IEC socket). I was thinking of the Anaconda CX to stay within the CX line since I know that the CX adds a bit of warmth that I like in my music. But on the other, progress is made in power cords so I am curious about the Alpha HC and Alpha Digital. I read a post from GrantS where he says that the Alpha HC is a direct successor of the venerable Anaconda CX.

Am I better of selling the BM HC/CX and buy an Alpha HC for my amplifier and an Alpha Digital for my BDA-3, or should I hunt down an Anaconda CX to get the sound I like?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Hi Serge,

Among the models you mentioned, for best performance I would recommend the Anaconda CX for the integrated and the Alpha NR or HC for the BDA-3. DAC's will perform better with the heavier gauge Alpha HC or NR models. The smaller gauge Digital Alpha would be fine for a clock, server or transport, but for analog-signal output devices like a DAC, the added gauge is worth the added $ outlay. You would also benefit from the passive filtering the Alpha NR or HC provide. The BM/CX power cords are top performance models for DAC's but I would give the edge performance wise to the Alpha HC or NR for the DAC. In terms of naturalness, either Alpha is on a par with the BM/CX but will also deliver lowered noise floor in that application.

I hope this is of some help!

Best regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research
Old 02-18-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Hi Serge,

Among the models you mentioned, for best performance I would recommend the Anaconda CX for the integrated and the Alpha NR or HC for the BDA-3. DAC's will perform better with the heavier gauge Alpha HC or NR models. The smaller gauge Digital Alpha would be fine for a clock, server or transport, but for analog-signal output devices like a DAC, the added gauge is worth the added $ outlay. You would also benefit from the passive filtering the Alpha NR or HC provide. The BM/CX power cords are top performance models for DAC's but I would give the edge performance wise to the Alpha HC or NR for the DAC. In terms of naturalness, either Alpha is on a par with the BM/CX but will also deliver lowered noise floor in that application.

Best regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research
Grant, thank you for your response it is really helpful.

As per what I experienced with the addition of the BM HC/CX on the BDA-3, I think that would make sense if I would start with an Alpha HC (or NR) in lieu of the BM as I would get the maximum out of my DAC. As for the Anaconda CX, they are VERY hard to come by in the used market (and also quite expensive). People seems to keep them preciously.. For this reason alone and the fact that I like to stick with a series when I am set, would an Alpha HC be close enough in performance compared to the Anaconda CX, or is it just a tiny step down? I am sure I could live with either as my amplifier is only rated at 70W in 8 ohms.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Grant, thank you for your response it is really helpful.

As per what I experienced with the addition of the BM HC/CX on the BDA-3, I think that would make sense if I would start with an Alpha HC (or NR) in lieu of the BM as I would get the maximum out of my DAC. As for the Anaconda CX, they are VERY hard to come by in the used market (and also quite expensive). People seems to keep them preciously.. For this reason alone and the fact that I like to stick with a series when I am set, would an Alpha HC be close enough in performance compared to the Anaconda CX, or is it just a tiny step down? I am sure I could live with either as my amplifier is only rated at 70W in 8 ohms.
Yes, the Alpha HC and Anaconda CX are comparable but exhibit different performance attributes depending on application, so I wouldn't class either as a favorite. The Alpha HC is a heavy gauge power cord at 8awg., so plenty for any amp. If the HC's are more readily available I would go that route. They may be a bit less expensive as well given the original retail price being $1250 vs. $2000 for the ACX.

Best regards,
Grant
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

As always, Grant provides great information! I'm using a Black Mamba CX on my Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC to very good effect.

The fact its plugged into a Triton doesn't hurt, either!

–Stephen aka Puma Cat
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Hi Serge,

Best regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research
Hi Grant,

I now have a Bryston BDP-2 digital player that is connected to my BDA-3. I guess for a digital player, the Alpha Digital would be correctly suited for this application since this is basically a computer, right?

thanks,
Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Hi Grant,

I now have a Bryston BDP-2 digital player that is connected to my BDA-3. I guess for a digital player, the Alpha Digital would be correctly suited for this application since this is basically a computer, right?

thanks,
Don't want to jump in on Grant's reply, but as the BDP-2 this is basically a music server, I think the answer is Yes (per his previous reply).

-PC
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Don't want to jump in on Grant's reply, but as the BDP-2 this is basically a music server, I think the answer is Yes (per his previous reply).

-PC
Thanks Stephen,

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure. I am now preparing my next wave of upgrades for power cords. Here is my plan so far:

Actual:
XLO Ultra X-10 (borrowed from a friend) on Yamaha CA-1000 amp
Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX on BDA-3
No-name custom cord for BDP-2 (seems decent though)

Target:
Selling the BM HC/CX
Shunyata Alpha HC on both Yamaha CA-1000 and BDA-3
Shunyata Alpha Digital on BDP-2