AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
The big fear for me on the Aurender is power interruption, I did not think of using a UPS to power down the Aurender.

Does the UPS actually shut down Aurender?

From an audiophile perspective, does audio suffer from plugging a high end cable into the UPS and it’s fixed cord into the wall, or maybe the P10?
Ed.......No, my UPS Backup does not shut down the Aurender. I would not use it like that even if it could. I use it for providing power to the N100H during momentary utility drops that happen occasionally, most often during high wind or rain storms. It's those 15 second to one minute drop outs I am protecting my music server from. On the other hand, when power goes down for an extended time like it did last week for 18 hours during an ice storm, the UPS gives me time to go through the Aurender's shut down routine safely, then leave it off until power is restored and stable. That happens in the living room system. How I handle the upgraded power cords goes like this. My living room system has a PS Audio Power Plant Premier installed and is using a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord to a dedicated 20 amp circuit terminated to a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE outlet. I power the UPS Backup from the Power Plant Premier. In that way it is getting clean power despite its attached power cord. Then I go from the UPS to the Aurender N100H with a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord. That 2 meters of premium cable to the N100H provides shielding and an excellent electrical path between the music server and the UPS. I leave the server and the DAC powered continuously

In the studio I use a PurePower 2000 AC power conditioner with internal batteries that provide uninterruptible backup power to the entire system. The PurePower 2000 is fed from a 20 amp dedicate circuit terminated to a PS Audio Soloist Premier SE outlet, then with a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord to a Furutech Flux 50 Filter, then to the PurePower 2000. The power to the Aurender N10 in that system is backed up along with all the other components, and all components are powered using Wireworld Silver Electra power cords. I leave the N10 and the K-01X powered continuously. If an extended power outage takes place I have time to shut those components down just like the living room system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-10-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:44 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Dan, please don't answer this question.........
Ron....... . . . .Too late! .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Dan, please don't answer this question.........

Poppyhome, in all respect the question was not meant to hijack or veer the thread on power cords but rather to get a perspective if the battery would degrade the flow of power in anyway along with understanding how the UPS works.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Dan.......your thorough explanation of your power connections is very HELPFUL

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Matt.......Congratulations on your new Aurender N100H. It is a super music server.

A UPS Backup is a good idea. I have uninterruptible power supplies on both my Aurender N10 and N100H music servers. It is important to protect the operating system from hard crashes from a power loss. An APC Backups 650 will suit your needs. https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-...PC+Backups+650

Hope this helps you out.
Thanks Dave.....I will definitely order one for my N100H. The price is reasonable as well.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Poppyhome, in all respect the question was not meant to hijack or veer the thread on power cords but rather to get a perspective if the battery would degrade the flow of power in anyway along with understanding how the UPS works.
I know......I see your list......just making sure Dan is on his toes.
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub

Last edited by Poppyhome; 01-10-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Remove annoying emoji
Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:

Dan, thank you.

The Aurender states something to the affect that it’s internal drives can be corrupted with loss of power if not properly shutdown even the threat of crippling or rendering inoperative.

Having battery backup is a no brainer especially hearing the brief drops in power from what you experience.

In the end, there’s not much you can do if one is not available before the battery drains on the UPS other then shut the unit off before you leave, and I’m talking more along the lines out for the 8-10 hours versus the holiday.

Understand the power path you illustrated, just was seeing if there was any sacrifice or concern of reducing current.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Ed.......The idea of backup power for the Aurender, or any music server for that matter, is to protect the operating system and music files for being corrupted due to improper shut down, not to keep the server playing. As for being away for extended periods, the Aurender can be turned off from its front panel power button or from the Conductor App without having to switch off its main power switch on the rear panel. Then if a power interruption happens, there is no problem.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Ed.......The idea of backup power for the Aurender, or any music server for that matter, is to protect the operating system and music files for being corrupted due to improper shut down, not to keep the server playing. As for being away for extended periods, the Aurender can be turned off from its front panel power button or from the Conductor App without having to switch off its main power switch on the rear panel. Then if a power interruption happens, there is no problem.

Understand on not allowing continuous play.

And this reply helps me realize complete clarity on the power off process, I was thinking that the rear/main has to be shut off as well to prevent a problem, and that’s what had me on pins and needles as it’s not practical in a cabinet and maybe some rack settings
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Well, I finally connected everything today - and modest success - I heard the 1st music notes from my first music server!

I know I don't have everything figured out, but wanted to at least take the plunge to get to the next steps - even if I make some mistakes along the way. Thanks for being patient and explaining clearly!

I ripped 2 test CD's to AIFF using dbpoweramp - seems easy enough. I used "secure rips" and think I got AccurateRip verified results. The file sizes, even in uncompressed AIFF are about 10MB per minute of music. My 2TB should be more than enough for my collection (1,000 CD's?) Before I go any further and rip more CD's - I want to confirm AIFF is in fact a good choice vs. FLAC. Also want to make sure the naming conventions and meta data all work properly with the Aurender. Anyone else use AIFF care to comment?

I installed with my new USB cable (WW Silver) and plugged into the K-03 as DAC. Seemed easy enough.

As for the router - I am a little confused.

I just plugged generic cable into my ISP provided router (it's a new one). Seems to work fine. Reading the Aurender manual, I don't understand the purpose of the intermediate Wireless Router (Bridge/Access Point mode) that they illustrate. Asked a different way, why would you not connect directly to your ISP router?

I paired the Aurender to the Conductor app on two separate Android devices - check. I know this is Beta, and an iPad is in my future soon. How soon depends on the answer to the next question:

I was able to read an album from USB stick directly into the Aurender. I was able to navigate the tracks and play it. I was not however able to save the album to the Aurender HD. When clicking 'folder' I could navigate to the USB drive and see all the tracks, but the only options were to add to the queue and/or replace the queue. I was thus able to listen (it works) but not able to save. So... can the limited Android app even be used for this limited functionality of loading/saving music? (I know it does not do streaming).

A couple of ancillary questions - the manual shows an external HD as the basis for USB album uploads. Does the USB stick that I tried even make sense to use? I don't have a 'network' per se - just a PC laptop, and the ISP router. What's the best way to do this with my limited setup?

Finally, I just used some pre-packaged cable to connect the router to the Aurender. Is there a specific quality I should be looking for here? I assume it will make more of a difference when I am streaming from Tidal vs. just using the Conductor app.

Thanks again for the assistance - getting close!

I've shut everything down for now and am spinning some Richard Thompson the old fashioned way. For now...

Last edited by Matt Lan; 01-16-2018 at 09:08 PM.