AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 12-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Default Which magtech?

Is the stereo magtech amp sufficient for a pair of magneplanar 3.7i speakers or is there a significant reason to go with dual monoblocks? Yes I know these are current hungry speakers but am wondering what audible differences might be heard.

The room is 40 feet by 15 feet with the speakers 5 feet away from the short wall and 10 feet apart. Listening seating is 10 feet away from the speakers. and surrounded by heavy curtains on 3 sides. The space behind the seating is open to the remaining length of room. As there is a high ceiling the only issue is how much bass supplementation I'll need but I'll assess that after I get it all set up and listen to my usual calibration/comparison playlist. I like to keep the electronics simple and low noise. Music is played through a modded sonos connect or a windows 10 pc with a paul pang USB card. Most of my sources are 24/96 or 16/44 flac decoded through a Gustard X20 DAC to a schitt headphone amp. This headphone amp also has a pair of line level balanced outputs that I am planning to use to go to the amp.

Last edited by Skypickle; 12-18-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:59 PM

What volume do you listen at? I have the stereo version and think it's sufficient for 75-85db. My room is ~35'x15'10. The length of my room is a little deceiving because the listening area connects to a kitchen, and the kitchen counter is about 25' from the front wall.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypickle View Post
Is the stereo magtech amp sufficient for a pair of magneplanar 3.7i speakers or is there a significant reason to go with dual monoblocks? Yes I know these are current hungry speakers but am wondering what audible differences might be heard.

The room is 40 feet by 15 feet with the speakers 5 feet away from the short wall and 10 feet apart. Listening seating is 10 feet away from the speakers. and surrounded by heavy curtains on 3 sides. The space behind the seating is open to the remaining length of room. As there is a high ceiling the only issue is how much bass supplementation I'll need but I'll assess that after I get it all set up and listen to my usual calibration/comparison playlist. I like to keep the electronics simple and low noise. Music is played through a modded sonos connect or a windows 10 pc with a paul pang USB card. Most of my sources are 24/96 or 16/44 flac decoded through a Gustard X20 DAC to a schitt headphone amp. This headphone amp also has a pair of line level balanced outputs that I am planning to use to go to the amp.
I have 20.7s and use the stereo version, unless you want insane volume levels its more than adequate. Roger offers a 30 day home trial, so start with the stereo version and see how that works.

Brett
Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM

I had the stereo version with 3.7i's in a 19 x 15 x 8 room and it was more than adequate. I sold it recently because I now have 97dB efficient speakers, but already regret selling since it's possible I will have Magnepans again someday. Great amp.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Would you use it with similarly power demanding something speakers like revel salon 2?

Last edited by Skypickle; 01-13-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 PM

I have no idea how it would sound with revel salon 2 however the power output in my opinion would be totally adequate.

FWIW I sold my 3.7i's locally and the buyer has become a friend whose system I have heard a few times. After he got the 3.7i's set up in his room he tried my Magtech to see if he might want to buy it. It easily drove the 3.7i's to the loud levels he likes without any strain in his considerably larger room. But he felt it sounded a little sterile compared to his Jeff Roland mono blocks. I'm not sure which model, maybe 201's but they are class D 500 watts into 4 ohms. He didn't buy the Magtech.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM

That's the only criticism I've heard repeatedly about the Magtech amps, that they lean towards the analytical side. If the rest of your system has a warm balance and your speakers need power and control they can't be beat, but if you already have an analytical balance they can be a bit too lean.