AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-18-2016, 07:55 PM

The 6BG6's I got were not thoroughly tested.

I have some 807's but need adapters. One day....

I did not think to check Michael Marx.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I've been going back over this thread and ran across reference to the 6GB6GA, also similar to a 6L6. They are roughly the same price as the 807's. It just so happens that I have enough credit on my paypal acct burning a hole in my tablet. Any recommendations as to one vs the other from my friends here? I am figuring to get a quad for my PSE.

As an aside. I have found that I prefer the PSE to date with quads vs dissimilar pairs in the output sockets. I had theorized upon purchase that mixing pairs would offer the best of both, what ever they may have been. I am not saying that mixing has not been rewarding and maybe I have not found that to die for combination yet ( the possibilities are pretty limitless) but I am looking to buy a quad of these to hear the true nature of the tube before looking for combinations with others. Anyway, that is where my mind is right now. A tough dilemma to have I know.😉
If FedEx is nice to me, this should be here Tuesday.

I'm with you, planning on trying solid quads to start with. Shipping with GL KT66's. Have some NOS Marconi 6V6Gs also to try.

Will also grab a quad of the GL KT77s, should be something quite different from the KT66/6V6 family.

Last quad I may try is the Tung Sol 6550's. Brent Jessee seems to find used ones that "test new" for a reasonable price from I believe and he seems to be a reliable source. From what Dennis has said, the PSE drives the tubes gently so used 6550 should be good to go.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 PM

That's damn nice! I prefer the rectangular chassis overall.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Retired

CoGT3 - Very nice. Like that color (does it match your car?). What is Dennis stating as the rated output on your new amp.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
CoGT3 - Very nice. Like that color (does it match your car?). What is Dennis stating as the rated output on your new amp.
Doesn't match my car, but does match the 45 SET Dennis made.

Not sure about max output but think in the mid 20's with KT88's. Not really wondered about that with my 96 dB/W speakers. Have been using the 45 SET for now with all of 1.5 W so will be a pretty big jump in power for me. 45 SET is not going anywhere, just a different flavor with more grunt with the PSE. They should compliment each other nicely.

(Car is cobalt blue metallic).
Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
If FedEx is nice to me, this should be here Tuesday.

...Have some NOS Marconi 6V6Gs also to try.
Pretty amp - I have a pair of those 6v6G's and they are very nice. Congrats and good luck

Last edited by nhparrot; 12-19-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
Pretty amp - I have a pair of those 6v6G's and they are very nice. Congrtas and good luck
I hope so, they where a little dear so speak on the auction site. But I really wanted a nice quad of ST style 6V6 and they fit the bill. Test numbers very uniform and in pristine condition. Came from Italy and where probably WWII left overs. Seller had multiple war era tubes in large quantities so they must have found a nice barn score.

The others I had been interested in where the pope 6V6GTs but I suspect the KT66s will have many of the same characteristics, more linear, extended, and powerful.

And FedEx brought their A game, already delivered a day early. Going to be a late night.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
I hope so, they where a little dear so speak on the auction site. But I really wanted a nice quad of ST style 6V6 and they fit the bill. Test numbers very uniform and in pristine condition. Came from Italy and where probably WWII left overs. Seller had multiple war era tubes in large quantities so they must have found a nice barn score.

The others I had been interested in where the pope 6V6GTs but I suspect the KT66s will have many of the same characteristics, more linear, extended, and powerful.

And FedEx brought their A game, already delivered a day early. Going to be a late night.
Nice! I'd love to hear your initial impressions on that amp. I have a feeling one is in my future.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:02 PM

If FedEx is nice to me, this should be here Tuesday. I'm with you, planning on trying solid quads to start with. Shipping with GL KT66's. Have some NOS Marconi 6V6Gs also to try. Will also grab a quad of the GL KT77s, should be something quite different from the KT66/6V6 family. Last quad I may try is the Tung Sol 6550's. Brent Jessee seems to find used ones that "test new" for a reasonable price from I believe and he seems to be a reliable source. From what Dennis has said, the PSE drives the tubes gently so used 6550 should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

I have chassis envy. That is a beauty. I asked dennis about ASCOB amps before mine went to the powder coater. Did not get a response. Either way my Harley Black is awfully sharp.

Having heard the 45 in DH's listening room you are in for a real experience with the PSE. More Watts is only half of the difference between that SET and your new amp. DH's SEP circuit is something else altogether by itself. Don't get me wrong, that 45 does have some magic to it, just different magic.

As for tube selections in the PSE, I am tending to settle on the same power tubes I was most happy with in my KT amp. 6V6GTs have mids and soundstage that are unmatched in my system. I like the 6v6g as well, maybe not quite as much. Interestingly my PSE was tailored to the KT-88 tube but when I went to pick it up Dennis had a quad of KT-77s in it and said he was surprised that the 77s were running as if they were the targeted design OP tube. Pushing the same power as the 88s on the scope. Sonically I like the KT-77s and have yet to find a KT-88 that I was interested in keeping in the mix. Haven't tried the GL and unless someone loans me some NOS I will not be going that rout. I know many here have spoken highly of the dynamics of the KT-88 but I have not heard it. Maybe its my system, maybe its my ears. Who knows. I digress. I wonder if yours was tailored for the KT-66s he sent it with or just a happy alternative like the 77s in mine. He does that.

Anyway, you are in for a totally new experience with that PSE. I never thought I would own a system that sounded as true to the real thing, a real live musician playing a real instrument. Of course I thought the same of my Inspire KT as well. Thank you Dennis!!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05 PM

Sorry, looks like I deleted to much of CoGT3's quote in my last post.