AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:40 PM
thesaint519's Avatar
thesaint519 thesaint519 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
That's good info. Thank you kindly .
Do you use Transparent Power cables, too?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM
JackD201 JackD201 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default

My first power cords were Shunyata Pythons. I replaced them with Kubala-Sosna Emotions then replaced all of those with Von Schweikert Masterbuilts which I am sticking with for the foreseeable future. I also liked the Elations a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
thesaint519's Avatar
thesaint519 thesaint519 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD201
My first power cords were Shunyata Pythons. I replaced them with Kubala-Sosna Emotions then replaced all of those with Von Schweikert Masterbuilts which I am sticking with for the foreseeable future. I also liked the Elations a lot.
What were the sonic differences between the lot? Have u considered Shunyata's Zitron line of power cords? I'm still in the discovery portion of my power cord journey, but I'm leaning toward Transparent, as they Reference cables have made a huge impact on my system.
__________________
Preamp: Lamm L2; Amps: Lamm M1.2 Monos; Speakers: Wilson Sashas - Gen I; DAC: Meitner MA-1; Source: Meridian Sooloos Ensemble; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolaotor 8; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolator MM; Cables: TA Ref XLMM2; Isolation: SRA Scuttle 3; Isolation: SRA VR-Series Amp IsoBases
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
JackD201 JackD201 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Hi Saint,

Sorry if the posts come in late. I'm still under 50 posts so all of them have to pass through the mod team before they go up.

The Pythons were pretty good. In fact I only changed them out because I just happened to borrow the Emotions and to me they helped the amps do harmonics better. By comparison the Pythons felt a bit stripped. Again I was happy but got to try the Elations and the VSAs. These added articulation to the Emotion's harmonics and seemed quieter as well.

I run straight into the wall as Lamm recommends and the ferrite and other powders in the VSA cables made them quieter than the Elations albeit tonally, I think they are dead ringers. My quibble with the VSA's is that they are heavy and stiff. Fortunately I have the space to let them run without too many bends otherwise I could have gone with the more pliant elations.

I haven't heard or tried the Zitron line. I think I will stop borrowing cables now. I already like the sound I'm getting. It's not that I don't think it can be improved upon, it's just that, man, this stuff is expensive!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
thesaint519's Avatar
thesaint519 thesaint519 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD201
Hi Saint,

Sorry if the posts come in late. I'm still under 50 posts so all of them have to pass through the mod team before they go up.

The Pythons were pretty good. In fact I only changed them out because I just happened to borrow the Emotions and to me they helped the amps do harmonics better. By comparison the Pythons felt a bit stripped. Again I was happy but got to try the Elations and the VSAs. These added articulation to the Emotion's harmonics and seemed quieter as well.

I run straight into the wall as Lamm recommends and the ferrite and other powders in the VSA cables made them quieter than the Elations albeit tonally, I think they are dead ringers. My quibble with the VSA's is that they are heavy and stiff. Fortunately I have the space to let them run without too many bends otherwise I could have gone with the more pliant elations.

I haven't heard or tried the Zitron line. I think I will stop borrowing cables now. I already like the sound I'm getting. It's not that I don't think it can be improved upon, it's just that, man, this stuff is expensive!
Thanks for your input. I understand ur unwillingness to audition any other power cords. It can become an expensive proposition. I'm hoping to audition Transparent power cords with my amps. I recently replaced my Analysis Plus cables with Transparent Ref. MM1 cables all around. The remaining AP cables are the power cords. I can't wait to upgrade. If the current performance of my Transparent cables is any indication, the power cords should be awesome performers.
__________________
Preamp: Lamm L2; Amps: Lamm M1.2 Monos; Speakers: Wilson Sashas - Gen I; DAC: Meitner MA-1; Source: Meridian Sooloos Ensemble; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolaotor 8; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolator MM; Cables: TA Ref XLMM2; Isolation: SRA Scuttle 3; Isolation: SRA VR-Series Amp IsoBases

Last edited by thesaint519; 07-08-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 AM
JackD201 JackD201 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Do let me know how things go Saint
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
thesaint519's Avatar
thesaint519 thesaint519 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
Do let me know how things go Saint
I sure will . It may be a little while though. Gotta couple of other things higher on the wish list. I want to get an HRS SXR rack, and a Lamm L2 preamp, before the power cords. I'm looking forward to the day when it'll all be mine .
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 AM
JackD201 JackD201 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default

I was shocked at the added refinement and nuance of my L2 Reference over my LL2. The LL2 still sounded fuller probably also due to the higher output voltage but I feel the added space and purity of tone made up for that easily. Looks like you've got a great road mapped out!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM
thesaint519's Avatar
thesaint519 thesaint519 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD201
I was shocked at the added refinement and nuance of my L2 Reference over my LL2. The LL2 still sounded fuller probably also due to the higher output voltage but I feel the added space and purity of tone made up for that easily. Looks like you've got a great road mapped out!
Wow! It sounds like you like both, but prefer the L2 due to its refined approach and detail. Is that right? I'm so excited about the L2 I'd love to hear everything you can tell me about it.
__________________
Preamp: Lamm L2; Amps: Lamm M1.2 Monos; Speakers: Wilson Sashas - Gen I; DAC: Meitner MA-1; Source: Meridian Sooloos Ensemble; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolaotor 8; Power Dist: TA PowerIsolator MM; Cables: TA Ref XLMM2; Isolation: SRA Scuttle 3; Isolation: SRA VR-Series Amp IsoBases
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-2012, 06:21 AM
JackD201 JackD201 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default

The L2 does this thing where it really spaces out musical events in the soundstage. As such stuff like pizzicatos aren't masked as much by louder instruments. While it is fairly neutral I think it still has a touch of sweetness to it compared with say the VTL 7.5 of my brother which we compared in my system. It's top end is definitely more extended and pure than the LL2. What the LL2 has on the other hand is a more classic fullness to the lower midrange which depending on tubes used, in my case all Mullards, bordering on Octal type tone. While less bloomy than the LL2 the L2 has superior pitch definition all the way down.

There's one thing you might find disconcerting at first when you get your L2. With the LL2, I never got past 12 o'clock before stuff started falling off the shelves. 10 o'clock was plenty for even the most irresponsible listening. With the L2 I found myself at the 10 o' clock position for easy listening and had it cranked to about 1:30 for said episodes of madness. I asked Vladimir about it and he said he chose stepped attenuators for the L2 Reference that would allow for smaller increments between notches. This moved unity gain to about the 3 o'clock position. It felt weird looking at the dual knobs at first but I got used to it eventually.

Another thing is tube rolling. My experience as well as a few other L2 owners I've chatted with is that stock tubes work best.

As far as racks go. It's a dual mono design split right down the middle. In that middle is the DC umbilical. I would suggest an open rear (4 legged) rack. I use a Critical Mass PXK which has three legs and it can be a tight squeeze back there when setting up or tearing down.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2017 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase