AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 PM

Serge,

Ok, now that's more like it for my range on this little tertiary tube system I'm building. Hmmm. Nice!
now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! It might become primary with any of these great recommendations. Those little guys are SWEET!

It would take me $2k in parts and cabinet labor alone to build something real nice or buy it done for $1,899, hmm, that's an easy decision. Gonna have to check those out. Heard of them but never seen them before.

-------------------------------------------

I've been out of the mainstream manufacturer industry speaker loop for a while since my Totems and last custom set was completed for my main system a few years ago. LIKE the small form factor idea to go right along with my upcoming small form factor tube amp.

If these speakers sound as good as many of you mention, heck, it might make me sell off the entire big system too.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, now I've got some Reference, Focals, Zu, Devore, and maybe some Tekton speakers to check out.

Last edited by decooney; 01-21-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Serge,

Ok, now that's more like it for my range on this little tertiary tube system I'm building. Hmmm. Nice!
now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! It might become primary with any of these great recommendations!

It would take me $2k in parts alone to build something nice or buy it done for $1,899, hmm, that's an easy decision. Gonna have to check those out. Heard of them but never seen them before.

I've been out of the manufacturer industry speaker loop for a while since my Totems and last custom set was completed for my main system a few years ago. LIKE the small form factory thing to go along with my upcoming small form factor tube amp.

If these speakers sound as good as many of you mention, heck, it might make me sell off the entire big system too.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, now I've got some Reference, Focals, Zu, and maybe some Tekton speakers to check out.
The Zu Audio speakers are just a bit "lightweight" sounding, not quite enough meat on the bones for my taste but many do like them. Just a suggestion, something to look into for sure. The ultimate result will depend on how they pair up with your amp.

When I was running a Shindo 10W SET on the Tannoy Canterbury SE (big speakers!) they actually sounded like they had more body and fuller/meatier than with Audio Research 250 Reference monoblocks! Go figure!

Last edited by PHC1; 01-21-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
I agree with Serge. The Zu ticks all the boxes.

Something to consider when choosing a speaker for a single-ended triode - the minimum impedance of the speaker is often of more importance than the overall efficiency rating.

Another speaker to try: The Devore Gibbon 3XL or Gibbon X if you want to eliminate the need for a stand. Lovely, natural sounding speakers.
Absolutely. A lower efficiency speaker with a more tube friendly impedance characteristic will not such the life out of a tube amp as much.

In the case of the Zu Omen Bookshelf, they are 12ohm and 97dB, that is very tube friendly.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Only $12,000, wow, I've only been looking at the $60,000 bookshelf model. What was I thinking... Good grief.

Geeze, my triode tube amp is about 1/8 th the cost of those Reflector speakers. I can build a set again if I have to, but hoping to find something already proven, at a reasonable price, for us low-end folks. This is just for a den room system, low-level evening listening. I already have my main system covered with way too many tubes and giant speakers. Looking at downsized set of speakers. Guess I need to re-state the requirement. Sorry about that...

Those Omegas are nice, like those so far!

Okay, how about tube friendly efficient bookshelf speakers for under $2,000, say in the $1,500 range.
I have and like Klipsch Heresy III's but have a look at the Omega Compact Alnico monitors.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 AM

Thanks. Will check them out. Lots of good votes for the Omega speakers
Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 AM

I don’t think this company is still in business. But the Galante Rhapsody would be an ideal candidate. You can find them used at very reasonable prices. And since you said that DIY was acceptable, I assume that you wouldn’t mind doing some minor work on a used speaker.

Look for some reviews on these from around the years 2000-2003.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 AM

Decware Reference Loudspeakers

Anyone here try them?

DM946 - 94db 1w/1m
http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM945.html