AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Their data mining abilities will scare the shit out of you.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Daughter - " Dad, I'm in love with a boy who is far away from me. I am in Australia and he lives in the UK. We met on a dating website, became friends on Facebook, had long chats on Whatsapp, he proposed to me on Skype and now we've had 2 months of relationship through Viber. Dad, I need your blessings and good wishes."

Father - "Wow! Really!! Then get married on Twitter, have fun on Tango, buy your kids on Amazon and send them through Paypal. And if you are fed up with your husband....sell him on Ebay".
Priceless! Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
Their data mining abilities will scare the shit out of you.
It's all about data and how much companies can sell that data for. There are many eager parties out there interested in that data who want to sell you their products and services, and it's not just facebook doing the data mining.

Last edited by jdandy; 10-11-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Corrected quote syntax.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Doesn't hurt to start protecting yourself with tools like Adblock & enabling tracking protection on your browser, even disabling cookies. Be sure to empty your browser cache once you've installed the add-in. Bare in mind, that Apple IOS & Windows RT have no such protection offering.

You will need an Adtrap device to cover all of your devices such as those that you connect to the internet.

Adblock blocks Facebook advertising too. Once you have it enabled, it will kill any site's Google metric participation posts too.

Why do I encourage or lobby? Because many sites are surreptitiously doing it without your consent or offering full disclosure in or with a published privacy policy.

Furthermore, those who are savvy, are increasingly opting out of active participation on such sites.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post

Adblock blocks Facebook advertising too. Once you have it enabled, it will kill any site's Google metric participation posts too.
+1 for adblock! I don't think it does anything as far a privacy is concerned, it just stop the flow of annoying ads on web pages. This way, pages load a lot faster. The Dolphin browser for Android devices has something similar built-in.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Rebellious!

This thread is silly, don't put your real info anywhere on the Internet.

I really like Facebook and I have joined many Facebook groups - specifically audio/ music related. Used right, you can connect with the world.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Eh...privacy. What an outdated concept. Once I realized that within 2 min a google search of my name could get you how much I paid for my house and a 3d map around my property, I threw up my hands and surrendered. It's easier to submit and simply buy FB stock.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I've had no problems with behavior of others on my FB account. I was originally opposed to joining FB, but after a year I like it, and have reconnected with real life friends. I have no complaints.

OTOH: my block list on AA is not empty. Just sayin...