AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Default B&W 803s to PMC EB1i's

Just looking for some input on moving from B&W to PMC for my home theatre setup.

My thoughts are to buy a pair of EB1i's to replace my 803S's for the front left and rights. Then as funds permit, buy the center channel (HTM3S) and then replace the rears (805S's) and sub (ASW825). I'm driving everything with my MC207 now. If the money fairy could ever find my house, I'd love to add a pair of 601's to the mix.

I really listen to about 80% music and 20% movies. That was not the plan initially but 6 years later it is the reality. I listen mainly to classic rock but Country, Jazz and some heavier rock when the mood strikes.

I was thinking of replacing the rear speakers with something on or in the wall to free up some space in the room but that decision is far from set in stone.

Thoughts ?

Jack
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM

If your looking for EB1i then the used market will be your only choice as they are now discontinued......you may want to look into the PB1i, close to the performance of the EB1i and some prefer the PB1i over the EB1i.

Last edited by Removed; 11-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Jack...

I switched from the B&W 804S to the PMC OB1i. I am very happy with my switch. I plan on adding the PMC wafers for my surrounds. For the center the PMC CB6i is kind of pricey. I think Jeff (av solutions) said I could try another speaker for the center. If not you Jeff sorry. If not I would love to find a demo, sale or used CB6i when the time is right. I did get to take a pair of the now discontinued B&W 803D's home for a week. In comparison I would rather have the PMC's the D's were way too big for my room. The D's seem to have a larger soundstage, but the PMC's sound more natural and musical. My room size is approx 18x13x8 and I IMO the OB1i's are the a perfect size for my room.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite613 View Post
Jack...

...but the PMC's sound more natural and musical.
My thoughts exactly. There is something about PMC speakers that captures the sound of live instruments better than most other speakers. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but I love it... I'm quickly morphing into a PMC zealot.

Hey Jack, my rooms almost the same size as yours. 12 x 18 (sloped ceiling to 10'). I agree, perfect size speaker for this room. How do you have your's placed in relation to the walls?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
My thoughts exactly. There is something about PMC speakers that captures the sound of live instruments better than most other speakers. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but I love it... I'm quickly morphing into a PMC zealot.

Hey Jack, my rooms almost the same size as yours. 12 x 18 (sloped ceiling to 10'). I agree, perfect size speaker for this room. How do you have your's placed in relation to the walls?
The room is 16 x 26 with a cathedral ceiling. I have the speakers placed on the long wall but am pushed more towards one end of the room due to a large opening connecting to my kitchen. I used a very thick pad under a good carpet and I think it really helps the sound in this room especially given that the wall behind my seating has 5 large windows.

So now that I hear the EB1i is disontinued ... is there a replacement in the works? What's the next logical choice? I'd like something that isn't going to lose the bass. Smaller speakers I have auditioned don't seem to have the punch of larger ones.

Jack
Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Jack,

Given how much bass my OB1i's produce I think you should try the PB1i. They may not have the big driver of the EB1i but they still will pack a serious bass punch. You might also consider the IB2i. Very highly regarded PMC speaker with a larger bass driver.

And I know this is a PMC thread, but if you really want bass, Dynaudio is worth a listen they are bass kings. The Dynaudio C2 is in your price range and has awesome bass.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Jack... I think Audio Classics still has a EB1i's. They have a pair (new) on their website and they are great to deal with. Many members here on AA will attest to that.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM

The PB1i would be an excellent alternative... It's right up there with the EB1i in terms of overall performance. Over time it will surely see the veneration that the EB1i has attained.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM

I wanna say that AC has some PB's as well....
Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll try to get a listen to the PB1i's and maybe the IB2i's and go from there. Turning 50 shortly .... thinking this might be a "from me to me" present

Jack