AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 PM

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
4 Month old unit, just started making clicking noise on power up - just for couple of seconds. This happens both on remote power up and local. All else works well. Really happy with this amp. Does any one have this issue?
I think it is normal to hear some clicking sound as system boot up. The boot up takes that few second to slowly bring power in so that there is no sudden power surge. So I think the clicking sound is the automatic relay to switch mode when power is successfully "loaded". James will be a better person to answer this kind of technical question.

But you did not hear it in the beginning but only hear it now... means either your room acoustic improved or your hearing improved! Yeh!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwxian View Post
I think it is normal to hear some clicking sound as system boot up. The boot up takes that few second to slowly bring power in so that there is no sudden power surge. So I think the clicking sound is the automatic relay to switch mode when power is successfully "loaded". James will be a better person to answer this kind of technical question.

But you did not hear it in the beginning but only hear it now... means either your room acoustic improved or your hearing improved! Yeh!
"when power is successfully "loaded""

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 AM

Hi

Sorry I missed this. The clicking is the special power surge prevention circuit.

When the amplifier starts up it only allows a small amount of current through and gradually ramps up the power to prevent sudden turn on surge.

james
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM

Hi Folks,

Outstanding review on our new 4B Cubed due out June 1st from Soundstage Magazine. - (includes measurements you won't believe) !!!

james
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

Sorry I missed this. The clicking is the special power surge prevention circuit.

When the amplifier starts up it only allows a small amount of current through and gradually ramps up the power to prevent sudden turn on surge.

james
Thank you, James. I am happy!

PMC Fact 12

Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: The New 4B Cubed Review - Soundstage

June 2017

Hi Folks,

Please see below the link to a superb review on our new Bryston 4B Cubed amplifier from Roger Kanno of Soundstage Magazine

Favourite Quote:

“I was blown away by its amazing transparency, absolute control, and very smooth, very linear sound. In my system, its sound was nearly flawless -- no matter what I listened to.

I couldn’t imagine the sound being much better, at least in terms of accurate reproduction.”

Roger Kanno
Soundstage Magazine

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....mono-amplifier

Also have a look at the exceptional measurements!

Measurements can be found through this link.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/ind...nts&Itemid=154
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 7B Q & A

June 2017

Technical Questions: Bryston 7Bł

1.Bryston was founded in 1976 in Peterborough, right? Who was the founder? What was the first product – do you have a picture for me?
2.What are mainly the technical improvements to the predecessor?
3.Regarding the low distortion input buffer - what is so new/special?
4.What are the improvements concerning the output stage?
5.The bandwidth up to 100 kHz is larger than the bandwidth of the predecessor but compared to other amps in the same class it isn’t very high. What is the reason for the moderate bandwidth Bryston prefers obviously?
6.The 7Bł has the lowest damping factor/highest output impedance among the Bryston power amps. What is the reason for this? And do you think the sound of the 7Bł is as the result of this a little bit “special” compared to the other amps?
7.Do you have further information of the sense and the function of the Master Circuit Breaker? It seems like a unorthodox solution ...
8.How much is the VA of the toroidal transformer and the capacity of the filter capacitors?
9.What does “Energy storage power transformers“ mean?
10.How many output transistors work per channel and which type?
11.The circuit of the 7Bł is designed fully symmetrical?

ANSWERS:

Thanks for your inquiry. I shall answer your questions in order below:

1. Bryston was founded in 1962 in Toronto, by 3 people named Tony Bauer, Stan Rybb, and John Stoneborough. John Russell, ex-NASA engineer and the father of Brian Russell and Chris Russell, bought the company in 1968. Among Bryston's first products was an electronic blood-testing unit called the 'Aggregometer'. Bryston made its first audio amplifiers in 1973.

2. The technical differences between the 7B Squared and the 7Bł lie in the input buffer. It is a new, patented design by Dr. Alexandru Salomie, who worked with Bryston for several years. The input buffer has very low THD and noise, and it also is extremely good at rejecting power-supply artifacts, noise and RF on the input cables. The result seems to be better imaging, depth and silent background on the musical presentation.

3. The input buffer's patent refers to new compensation methods to stabilize the high-gain, extremely linear amplification circuit, as well as a novel input filtering system to reject common-mode noise and RF before they get into the amplification circuitry.

4. The output stages of the Cubed Series amps are not changed from the Squared Series. We are happy with how they perform.

5. No musical instrument produces tones or harmonics substantially above 20KHz. Thus, Bryston feels that allowing an audio product to produce full power to RF frequencies does not improve the musical presentation and can only potentially lead to 'trouble' in the reproduction. That is why we use an effective RF filter at the input.

6. The damping factor of the 7Bł is very similar to the 4Bł even though the 7Bł is a balanced output amplifier and the 4Bł is a single-ended output amplifier. This is because the output inductors on the 7Bł are a lower value. In fact, the effective damping factor on the 7Bł is normally higher than single-ended amplifiers because it can be placed very close to each speaker, with very short speaker cables.

7. The Master Circuit Breaker on Bryston amplifiers takes the place of a power fuse. It means the user does not have to find and purchase a replacement fuse if it fails, and it cannot be defeated or replaced with a potentially unsafe value.

8. The toridal transformer in each 7Bł is conservatively rated at 850W continuous, but has enormous excess capacity.

9. An energy storage transformer has a heavier-than-normal core to deliver a large internal magnetic field. This allows the transformer to deliver very high spikes of current from its energy storage when recharging the filter capacitors, instead of drawing directly from the wall through the power cord. That means much less Voltage 'sag' when delivering high power on crescendos, and maintains a much more stable sonic 'image'.

10. The 16 output transistors in each 7Bł are Bipolar types and use both NPN and PNP polarities on each half of the waveform for maximum linearity. Each transistor is rated at 230W and 16 Amps of current for a huge reserve of power handling capacity.

11. Yes, the 7Bł is completely symmetrical from input to output.

James

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 06-09-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:30 AM

Default Bi-Amping - dual monos or dual stereos?

I would like to bi-amp my speakers ( Monitor Audio PL300).

One choice is to get 2 x 4B3 and use each amp per speakers with one channel driving the lower frequency and other channel driving the higher frequency.

Second choice is get 2 x 7B3 mono’s and use one per speaker.

Which setup will result in best sound quality – dual mono’s or dual stereo’s?

PMC Fact 12