AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Racing Hoopties

Hypothetical question -- If I have an MC352 and an MC452, which one would I put where, with the IRS Betas? MC452 on the upper or lower panels? I am currently using my MC352 on the upper panels and an old Threshold S/200 (100WPC - Class A up to 35WPC) on the lower panels with great results. I have not tried reversing them in my latest room config and setup but I started with them the other way and like the Mc on the upper panels better. Less 'sizzle' and sibilance with it. Yes, I will likely play with switching the Mc Amps around just to see what happens but that will be a little bit of a PIA so would like to use the collective insights to start with the expected better config. And yes, I am both psyched and humbled at even being able to ask this question.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 04-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Racing Hoopties

Wow - Can't believe I stumped all the experts here Experimentation it is. Ca n't wait.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Craig.......I don't know much about the Infinity IRS Betas speakers. Do they use an external crossover that provide independent output level control for high and low pass?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Craig.......I don't know much about the Infinity IRS Betas speakers. Do they use an external crossover that provide independent output level control for high and low pass?
They do use an external Servo \ Eq controller for the lower panels. I am now using the cross over capabilities of the MEN220 to bypass that piece of 25yr old electronics although that gives up the servo control and perhaps the very lowest octaves --- like below 25Hz.

I am going to start with the 452 on the upper panels as that will allow me to better compare it to the 352 since all my recent \ critical listening has been with the 352 on the upper panels. They are what you hear - presenting everything above ~110Hz. If I don't hear any improvements, I will try the 452 on the lower columns which is what you feel.

Then I will have another glass of wine and repeat

(Maybe I should have posted this in the general Speakers section...)

Last edited by crwilli; 04-04-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM

I asked Mcintosh that question a month ago regarding my RS1b
Here is the reply from Ron.
I think that also goes for the Betas.

Hi John,

See P 5 of the RS1b manual. It says that the crossover will not work correctly with bridged amplifiers. The MC402, as well as all Quad Balanced amplifiers have both speaker output terminals above and balanced to ground, like a bridged pair of channels. Therefore, the MC402 cannot be configured to work properly (or at all) with this crossover.

Regards,

Ron Evans
V P Engineering
McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.
Wadia Digital LLC
Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM

My vote initially, would be put the beefier amp on the mid/high towers, because they are the most demanding on an amp (load/phase angle, etc...). I know the bass towers can have a significant demand too, having to drive four 12in woofers per side, but I'd try that set-up first. Like most folks have said when dealing with this audio thing...your ears will let you know which sounds best to you.

Good to hear you've tried the Betas without the servo unit. How's the replacement for it; the MEN220?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 PM

I would chime in and even though the low end likes more power, I just think the 452 is a notch better sounding and you would hear it on the top end IMOP
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Racing Hoopties

Thanks folks. Seems my instinct to put the MC452 on top is consistent. Had a hiccup in sourcing that AMP so it will be a little while before I get to test this. The MEN220 works fine as a crossover fully replacing the servo controller. I don't seem to miss the very lowest octave the servo unit enables with the Betas perhaps because I have such a room resonance <30 Hz so was not really able to allow it to go down that low anyway. The primary benefit and result of the MEN220 into the system has been getting that resonance under control

Last edited by crwilli; 04-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM

It seems there are enough Infinity aficionados out there that Ivan may be persuaded to add an Infinity forum to our growing list. This is just the kind of question that Infinity owners would benefit from.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Racing Hoopties

Funny you should suggest that as I had a conversation on that very idea in the past week.

I think it might be a great idea as someone who would greatly benefit and the more I dig and learn, someone who might even be able to help some folks as well.

Ivan, I promise I didn't put him up to that suggestion.

Craig