AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Let's Talk About Pre amps

I was hoping when I went to the new Mcintosh dealer near me I would want to run out and replace my C220 with a C500; I wanted to be impressed but instead I am thinking not so fast. I understand when pre amps were first built it was with the need to amplify tunners as well as the phono output from a cartridge. Since most of my listening is digital and many Mcintosh cdp have variable outputs with enough power to drive amplifiers directly a pre amp is optional. I have played my MCD500 direct to the MC501's fully balanced I can attest that the sound is very good. What I missed most was not having tone controls. I put the C220 back in the system and have since added a sub. so now the tone controls are flat except on the rare occasion that I play a little vinyl. I am looking forward to hearing the MEN220 in my system as I am contemplating possibly going MCD500 to MEN220 to MC501's and not having a pre amp. I realize I will lose my TT but my music server is better than 90 % of my listening.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Formerly Gaucho1

You need to hear a new pre-amp in YOUR system in YOUR house. You can't always trust the sound of a component at a dealer showroom.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

David.......It is my experience with two seperate systems, the sound is better with a balanced preamplifier in the system. I have tried my MCD500 in the main system connected direct to the MC501 amps. I have tried my MCD500 in the studio system connected direct to the MC352, and to the two mono MC275 amps. With all three amplifier setups, I prefered the systems sound, synergy, and overall presentation with the preamps in the systems verses a direct CD player connetion to the amps.

The MCD500 and the MDA1000 connected direct have been discussed any number of times here. It basically boils down to personal preference. Greg loves his MCD500 direct to his MC2102, and others prefer this arrangement. My preference is to have a preamplifier in the system. I believe the line stage output from the MCD500 provides a cleaner output signal than the variable output. Everyone is different, but discounting the advantages of a seperate balanced preamplifer without a real audition does not provide actual results, only deduced logic, which is nothing more than to infer from a general principle that your decision is correct without a proof source.

I would try to get a dealer to allow you a home audition of the C500 or a C1000 over a weekend. Once you have this experience under your belt, you will be able to make a decision based on your experiences, and not based on any assumptions, or other individual's opinions.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I.........listening.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Bob.......That quote is hilarious!

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Just Pure Lucky

I had to walk away, I was laughing so hard.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM

David, if you enjoy a flat, 2 dimensional, cardboard like presentation in front of you, you will be happy without a preamp or MEN220 between your MCD500 and 501s. Me? I like a voluminous, billowing soundstage that allows me to peak around the instruments and into every corner of the acoustic space where the recording took place. While I love the Ayre KX-R for 99% of what it does, there is one thing the all tubed including power supply Lamm LL2D does a little better, it's recreating a 3 dimensional soundstage in front of me with very real and palpable images of instruments and vocalists. It's what the Wilson speakers love to do but need a good tube preamp in the system to do it. The SF speakers are capable of doing much of the same.

Last edited by PHC1; 11-14-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bob.......That quote is hilarious!
Who deleted something??
Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Who deleted something??
I deleted everything David wrote except for the 1st and last word & put those two as a quote, so to speak.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Aficionado Charter Member

Obviously, an "average listener!"

Houston Upstairs - C1000C/T, MX170, MC1.2KW x 4, MC501 x 2, MC252, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, MEN220, MPC1500, XRT1K's, XCS1K, XLS320's, Gotham, Sony VPL-VW675ES, Sony XBR-55X930E, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape Strato C, Roon Core on Nucleus & MS600
Houston Downstairs - Den (Zone A): MX122, MR88, MCD500, MVP871, MC207, DD18, Sony XBR-75Z9D, OPPO BDP-203, Sonos Port, Apple TV 4K, Sooloos MS200, B&W 805 Diamond x 2, B&W HTM4 Diamond, B&W CWM8 x 2; Living Room (Zone B): Sony XBR-65Z9D, MC402 & XR200's

Austin Theater - MX180, MC8207, MI254; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Kaleidescape Strato; OPPO UDP-203; Sooloos MS200; Apple TV 4K; Sonos Connect; Paradigm Signature S8 (2), C5, SIG-1.5R-v.3 (4) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 (4), SUB2; JVC RS3100; Sony XR-85X95K; Screen Innovations Black Diamond 2.35:1
Austin Den - Marantz AV7701, MM7055; Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (2), Studio CC-590 v5, RVC-12SQ, SA-10R (2); Sony XBR-65Z9D; Apple TV 4K