AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM

Default Devore Gibbon X and Line Magnetic amplification...anyone hear this combo? Thoughts?

Hello folks. I am intrigued by John Devore's new Gibbon X speaker (see commentary from TAB and Stereophile commentary from last year's CES here: The Audio Beat - CES & THE Show 2012 - Best of Show - Devore Fidelity and John DeVore & the Gibbon X | Stereophile.com). Here's a pic of the Gibbon X speakers with ARC amplification from the CES show:

I also know that he has shown his speakers often with an affordable line of tube gear called Line Magnetic at recent audio shows. I am particularly interested in this bad boy:

This is the Line Magnetic 218IA integrated amp, which is a 22 watt per channel 845 SET-based integrated amp. Driver tubes can be switched to adjust flavor. The options are 6V6, 6L6, 6550, EL34, KT88, 5881 etc. Remote control, adjustable bias using built in meter. 4, 8 and 16 ohm output taps. All point to point wiring used throughout. Comes with a tube cage.

Anyone have a chance to hear this pairing or either separately? Or the Gibbon X with other Line Magnetic amplification?

I know Matt at Pitch Perfect carries both lines so Matt if you see this, please weigh in if you get a chance. Thx
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM

I have the Gibbon 88s and have heard that LM amp with them. Both are fantastic products in their own right, and together they are excellent. The big 845 amp has real drive and control, and I consider it to be an absolute bargain.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Cyril, I own the LM218 integrated amp. I love the built in bias adjustment feature. No messing with a separate meter in one hand while adjusting the bias with the other. It also has a 30 second start-up to allow the tubes to get warmed up briefly before hitting them with all the voltage. This helps to extend the life of the tubes. It a nice looking unit and is quite heavy and substantial. The volume and selector knobs have a good feel to them. As for the sound, it's a typical SET tube amp with that luscious midrange but is very linear across the board. It doesn't have that iron fist grip on the bass or the speed of a SS amp but what it does give you is a a lovely, rich, realness that makes you involved in the music.

Last edited by bakerman; 11-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Neil/Doug...thx very much for the feedback. Very interesting. My local dealer has the Gibbon X coming in this month so I will give them a listen and report back on this thread. I must say the LM 218 is a great looking amp. Not sure if there is a dealer locally for me to audition. What's list price on that bad boy? Thx
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM

Cyril, the list price on the LM218 is $3500.00. Contact Jonathan at toneimports.com. He is the importer for LM and should be able to direct you to the nearest dealer. It's like Shindo though, not many dealers throughout the U.S.

With many things, the amp looks better in person too.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Thx Doug...I was just curious.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM

Cyril... Westford Audio (Mass) is a Line Magnetic dealer. He is the same dealer when we were both interested in Shindo equipment.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM

Jeff...thx for the heads up
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Any idea when the Gibbon X's might be let out of the cage? I haven't heard of any dealers with them on the floor just yet...
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Gibbon X delays

Hi Old Grey,

The problem is that our measurement system went down early last summer and we haven't been able to get it up and running again. Or replaced. The system is excellent and extremely capable, but it's based on old PC hardware. The ISA (I told you it was old hardware!) card itself was checked out and declared just fine my the manufacturer and I've had old-school WinTel experts here fiddling and squinting and telling me everything's fine with the PC.

In the mean time the manufacturer has announced a replacement measurement system that the industry is lining up for (I've got my deposit in for one of the first units) but it has been delayed a number of times. I hope to have it here in the next couple of months--fingers crossed.

Last edited by jdandy; 05-28-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor promotions by manufacturer against forum rules.
Closed Thread