AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
USB is not 2channel. Bryston's implementation of it is, at the moment, limited to 2 channel and some of us are hoping this will be updated.
Even if the Bryston does implement its USB in multi-channel, it will still only be PCM, correct? If this is so, I may as well use optical, coxial, HDMI or some other digital input for multi-channel.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Irrelevant to you is one thing of course but it's obviously just your opinion...
That's all that matters to me. They can market these new surround codecs all they want. I don't need them. Its mostly marketing to me. Dolby created a product no one asked for to me. Heck, they can't even get people to put up 5.1, and now they are advocating ceiling speakers. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Even if the Bryston does implement its USB in multi-channel, it will still only be PCM, correct? If this is so, I may as well use optical, coxial, HDMI or some other digital input for multi-channel.
How do you use coaxial or optical for MCH?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
How do you use coaxial or optical for MCH?
I can use coaxial or optical at 44.1/16 or 24 bit depth rate and convert to Dolby Pro Logic IIx music or Stereo7 7.1, a proprietary Bryston surround codec. But, the reality is that I normally use the XLR digital input for music surround. Even more so than my SACD or DVD-Audio player, I am playing most of my music back from my BDP-2. It is so convenient, and now I have access to my entire CD library. I only play the SACD or DVD-A on special occasions even though its a better sound. Its just most of my music (smooth jazz, jazz, R&B, pop, new age and blue grass) are on CDs. I am just playing the hand I'm dealt.

Last night while I was playing music, I felt something did not sound right. I immediately figured out the problem; I was listening in stereo. But, when I switched back to Dolby Digital IIx Music, the sound came back. I am so accustomed to listening in surround I cannot go back to stereo, not even on a state of the art D/A converter.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I can use coaxial or optical at 44.1/16 or 24 bit depth rate and convert to Dolby Pro Logic IIx music or Stereo7 7.1, a proprietary Bryston surround codec.
Ah. Coax or optical for stereo followed by the optional conversion to some sort of surround mode.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Ah. Coax or optical for stereo followed by the optional conversion to some sort of surround mode.
Correct. A two channel digital source can be converted to 7.1 from coaxial or digital. I have several sources connected but I primarily listen to 2 channel music up converted to 7.1 in one of the surround modes mostly Dolby Pro Logic Iix music and occasionally Stereo7 7.1. Nothing sounds better except for SACD 5.1 or DVD-A 5.1. Two channel DSD does not sound as good either nor does two channel 192/24 PCM from my BDA3 D/A converter. I have experimented extensively and this is my personal conclusion. I am fortunate to have all of the same drivers in the 7.1 speaker configuration and I get an enveloping sound field where the music does not seem to be coming from the speakers but and immersive soundstage. In two channel, this disappears. I have my 2 channel digital player, the BDP2 connected from its balanced digital out to the balanced digital input of the SP3. It is this input that I listen to in music surround mostly. Now I'm hook and don't even want a turntable.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Kal I forgot to mention that "pristine" sound you attributed to the SP3 is all around me now and I appreciate the note integrity this unit has in every channel. Its really ear candy and for once in my life I am enjoying my music library and not focused on the equipment. The equipment does not bring attention to itself; I just hear the recording soundstage and the instruments. That was a hell of a review; very descriptive.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Kal I forgot to mention that "pristine" sound you attributed to the SP3 is all around me now and I appreciate the note integrity this unit has in every channel. Its really ear candy and for once in my life I am enjoying my music library and not focused on the equipment. The equipment does not bring attention to itself; I just hear the recording soundstage and the instruments. That was a hell of a review; very descriptive.
That's why I keep hoping they will update the USB and/or Ethernet input to true multichannel.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I just hear the recording soundstage and the instruments.

Actually you don't hear the recording soundstage, you are making your own "soundstage" with up conversion.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I am fortunate to have all of the same drivers in the 7.1 speaker configuration and I get an enveloping sound field where the music does not seem to be coming from the speakers but and immersive soundstage. In two channel, this disappears.
OK so your speaker placement is optimized for 7.1 over stereo.

Quote:
I have my 2 channel digital player, the BDP2 connected from its balanced digital out to the balanced digital input of the SP3. It is this input that I listen to in music surround mostly.

That's great for stereo but true high-res surround can only be achieved using USB, HDMI or multi-channel analog. All other digital interfaces are at least 20 years old.