AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-22-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
Bearcity and FloridaBoy, thank you so much for the replies.

I still haven't officially received my new to me 6flv amp but I can't wait to go pick it up!!

With all those tube rolling options, I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store!

Bearcity: I am definitely ordering some 6f6s as per your suggestion as well as a 5U4 from Brent Jessee. He also has some NOS 5Y3 for 15$ a pop so I'll add one of those.

I can only find some 6f6s tubes available for sale on ebay and they come in both regular or ST bottle. As you said they are very affordable so I'm thinking I should get a pair of each.
Thanks again for the recommendations and let us know how you like that 6v6er after you spend some time with it! I will make sure to do the same!

FloridaBoy: I will be ordering a JJ 5Y3S as well and that 274b you told me to check out. The Pope 6v6gt tubes were originally on my radar, but as you said patience is a virtue and I don't necessarily want to go down the rabbit hole lol. Still undecided. Will most likely order them instead of the Genalex haha.
I saved the jpg you were reffering to a couple weeks ago and find it extremely convenient. Thanks for reminding me. Come to think of it, I still have a pair of TS KT120 I could also play with...but for some reason the jpg/combo sheet indicates 4 ohms and not 8...we'll see how that goes.

As for old production 6L6G, GA's and 6V6G's, that's going to have to wait. Plan is to experiment with all the possible combinations, break in the tubes nicely and enjoy the tunes.

And when I start going nuts in a few weeks or months, I guess I'll simply have to refrain from visiting the forum. Easier said then done I suppose :P
The Pope tubes, IMHO, are much better than the Genelex 6V6. My Genelex are gathering dust.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The Pope tubes, IMHO, are much better than the Genelex 6V6. My Genelex are gathering dust.
Done deal! I am ordering the Pope tubes from upscale audio!
If you don't mind me asking, you also happen to own a Firebottle triode wired amplifier (or used to) on top of your PSE, is that correct? And same for Bearcity (or perhaps the Hot-Rod version with 20w OPTs)?
I used to lurk on this forum on a regular basis some years ago but never ended up pulling the trigger until last week.

Cheers,
David
Old 12-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
Done deal! I am ordering the Pope tubes from upscale audio!
If you don't mind me asking, you also happen to own a Firebottle triode wired amplifier (or used to) on top of your PSE, is that correct? And same for Bearcity (or perhaps the Hot-Rod version with 20w OPTs)?
I used to lurk on this forum on a regular basis some years ago but never ended up pulling the trigger until last week.

Cheers,
David
Good move on the Pope tubes. I tried a 5R4GY rectifier with the Popes but in my rig a 5Y3 sounds better with the Sophia blue 6SL7. The JJ 5Y3s arrives today and I'll give that a go.

I still have the triode amp. It's the same transformers etc. as the HO and is simply triode strapped. It can easily become a HO amp. I bought the PSE from Beatlebum. Both are fine amps.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Good move on the Pope tubes. I tried a 5R4GY rectifier with the Popes but in my rig a 5Y3 sounds better with the Sophia blue 6SL7. The JJ 5Y3s arrives today and I'll give that a go.

I still have the triode amp. It's the same transformers etc. as the HO and is simply triode strapped. It can easily become a HO amp. I bought the PSE from Beatlebum. Both are fine amps.
Same chassis and same transformers but triode strapped. I was pretty close
I should normally be picking up the amp and most of the tubes on the 6th.

Happy 2020 to everyone here by the way!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Default No Pope goodness for me...

Quote:
I wish the Pope's had worked well for me.. but the Genelex that Dennis shipped with my Inspire are far better than the matched Popes I bought. I've swapped in the Popes probably 3-4x in the 2 years I've had them and they always sound veiled to me, as if I took a blanket and threw it over my speakers?

LP3a, Inspire 6v6, Klipsch Forte II

-Jeff
Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmer View Post
I wish the Pope's had worked well for me.. but the Genelex that Dennis shipped with my Inspire are far better than the matched Popes I bought. I've swapped in the Popes probably 3-4x in the 2 years I've had them and they always sound veiled to me, as if I took a blanket and threw it over my speakers?

LP3a, Inspire 6v6, Klipsch Forte II

-Jeff
The three-way Forte II was first introduced in 1989 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1996. Are they stock? Have you refreshed the capacitors?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Lp-3.1

Let me start off buy saying what you guys already know,Dennis is a great guy.I sent my LP-3a in for an upgrade to his current model LP-3.1.I received the preamp and I had a ground hum issue,I talked to Dennis and we could not figure out the issue.Well tonight I changed cables, power cords and I cleaned the tube sockets and installed the preamp in my system.I loved my LP-3a,but the LP-3.1 is in another league, every note being played is like the musicians are in the room.I have Klipschorns and the detail and soundstage this preamp adds to my system is unreal.I have owned Cary SLP-98 and SLP-05 and this preamp betters both of them.I would love to hear other owners of LP-3.1 to hear their results.T
Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson51 View Post
...Well tonight I changed cables, power cords and I cleaned the tube sockets ..
Do you feel these changes helped to improve the sound too?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 PM

I was using audio Tekne interconnects and power cords, I Audience conductor interconnects and standard black power cords. I want to try other power cords and interconnects but after the challenge I had with the ground loop problem I don’t want mess up and go backwards.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Do you feel these changes helped to improve the sound too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson51 View Post
I was using audio Tekne interconnects and power cords, I Audience conductor interconnects and standard black power cords. I want to try other power cords and interconnects but after the challenge I had with the ground loop problem I don’t want mess up and go backwards.
Wire makes a difference, but what to use is the question. FWIW, Audio Enabler, aka decooneny, convinced me to try Analysis Plus solo crystal IC's. I got a used pair on the auction site. I subsequently bought a Solo Crystal digital cable. I use decent but inexpensive power cords.

I'm driving Heresy 3's with an Inspire PSE.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 01-16-2020 at 11:24 AM.