AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......If you decide you want to experiment with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses, contact Chris at VH Audio https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html . He has lower pricing on the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses than Music Direct, Parts Connection, The Cable Company, and others, plus he has quick shipping. Chris buys the HiFi Tuning fuses in bulk from Germany so they do not come in the little black boxes. He ships them in small zip lock bags. This helps keep the price down. My two T2.5 (5 x 20mm) fuses cost $75.00 each. The other companies mentioned are asking $99.00 and up for the same fuse. Hope this helps.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/fuses.htm
Dan, thanks for the info. I just ordered two HIfI Tuning Supreme Fuses from Chris.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Dan-

i like the routing of the wires under the amps. Very Neat & Clean. I was concerned about heat so ran the wires between the amps. Guess there is some re-arranging in the future here!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 10-11-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Dan-

i like the routing of the wires under the amps. Very Neat & Clean. I was concerned about heat so ran the wires between the amps. Guess there is some re-arranging in the future here!
John.......Thanks for the photo. I'll bet that bi-amp configuration sounds excellent. I agree, there's room for some tidying up.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-12-2019, 08:30 AM

If I owned beautiful McIntosh MC75 amps they would be up top for the world to see and enjoy, not hidden down underneath.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcanlas View Post
Dan, thanks for the info. I just ordered two HIfI Tuning Supreme Fuses from Chris.
Dario.......I think you will be impressed and pleased at the improvement in resolution and soundstage focus with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses in you MC75 amplifiers. I experimented with the direction of the fuse when installed in the fuse holder. I found the best performance was when the small arrow on the fuse logo pointed to the rear of the amp, toward the cap of the fuse holder. I performed this experiment several times and came to the same conclusion each time. The clarity and three dimensional aspects of the sound stage are best for me in that installation configuration. It is widely accepted that these fuse are directional. Don't ask my to explain that because I don't have a clue but my ears hear the difference. You may also want to consider a HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse for your 60th Anniversary C22 preamplifier. I am looking forward to reading your impressions once the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses are installed in your MC75's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
If I owned beautiful McIntosh MC75 amps they would be up top for the world to see and enjoy, not hidden down underneath.
Bill.......I appreciate the idea, and if I had somewhere else for my Micro Seiki turntable to reside I would take advantage of that installation option. All things considered, I don't think the MC75's are hidden away, just not the center of attention like they would be on the top shelf of the rack.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Hey Bill-

I guess old habits die hard. When I built this rack I had a 352 power amp on the bottom shelf was the best choice. Moving to a 275, it remained there and then adding the 75's the 275 moved over. Also, like Dan I have a TT on the top shelf.

If ever a reconfiguration happens, moving the amps higher is a suggestion worthy of consideration.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current.jpg (88.7 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 10-12-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: enlarge photo.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Dan
Congrats on the MC75's.
Thank you so much for another excellent review, for sharing all your knowledge and giving us newbies your wise advise.
I tried the MC75's with my prior Parasound P5 pre amp and B&W 803D3 but did not purchase them because the bass was a little low, mids and highs were nice. I didn't know back then how important a pre amp is to the outcome of the music. I am sure that with my current C70 the result would be very different even with the power hungry B&W's. If I ever sell my MC452 I will try a tube amp again, we'll see what is available then. Reading this review makes me feel like I lost an opportunity to own a pair of amazing amps.
Carlos
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Carlos.......The B&W 803D3's specified efficiency is 90dB/1w/1m with an 8 ohm impedance. The speaker is rated to operate with amplifiers from 50 to 500 watts. I suspect your Parasound P5 preamplifier may have not had the bet synergy with the MC75's. I also wonder if your bass response may have been improved by using the amplifier's 4 ohm speaker terminals rather than the 8 ohm terminals. B&W 800 series speakers can have some serious dips and peaks in impedance in the frequency range below 80Hz. It is also critical to remember how important speaker location is in a room. Getting your speakers placed properly so that the lowest frequencies load the room's dimensions properly is essential.

Having said all that, the McIntosh MC75 should be able to drive the B&W 803D3's quiet well, albeit not to rock concert volume levels. It is rated at 75 watts output but typically outputs 90 watts. Couple a pair of MC75's with that new C70 preamplifier should provide great performance, especially if you have those B&W 803D3's dialed into the room correctly.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Dan
I would have tried the 4 ohm terminal when I had them if had known what I know now. When the MC452 came, I did some research, the 4 ohm tap was recommended. It did not take long to notice the sound improvement vs the 8 ohm tap. I listen to jazz mostly at moderate levels, but can not adjust speaker position by much. I am very happy now, MC452 was on my which list for a long time. For some reason though, I can envision tube monos with the C70...Well see.
Thanks agian.

Last edited by cmusic; 10-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.