AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Dan,
Yep, the McIntosh power control cables are the finishing touch for amps like MC75s (or MC275s) where the cables are visible in the room. Well done. I like it.
Terry.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Dan-

Here's to all of us that have spent 50 + years getting our sound machines to their current level of enjoyment.

That said, what's this fuse stuff you guys are making mention of?
John.......I hear you. The journery has been as exciting as the destination. I'm not making any promises, but I think I am actually done with both systems. Nothing left to do but let the music play.

About using aftermarket fuses, it began with my first purchase of HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses in 2012. There was a lot of chatter on several forums about the positive results these fuses made in high-end audio equipment. It did not take me long to become a believer because every component I added the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse to sounded better. You might find find the HiFi Tuning Fuses Installed thread an interesting read. Since all of my experiences with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses have produced positive results in every component I have them installed in, I made the decision to add them to the MC75 amplifiers. Man, oh man, I'm glad I did.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-10-2019, 02:41 AM

Dan, I guess you have changed your mind :-)

Quoting Dan (on another forum)

May 6, 2015, 09:33 PM

"One thing I differ from you on is I see no value at all in the McIntosh branded stereo mini-jack cable used for power control of the components. There is no audio signal passing through this cable, only 5 volts or 12 volts to trigger the relay circuits and meter lighting. I use 6' stereo mini-jack cables from Parts Express that are priced less than $5.00 each. I see no reason to pay $60.00 for a 1 meter stereo mini-jack cable with McIntosh logos on the fancy gold connectors when I can achieve the exact same results with a Parts Express cable at approximately 8% of the cost of the McIntosh branded cable. If there was a performance gain to be acquired, that might alter my thinking but there is nothing the 1 meter McIntosh cable at $60.00 provides that the 6' Parts Express cable at $5.00 does not provide. Actually, I get an additional 31 inches of cable length to boot. I use 12 power control cables with my McIntosh components. That's $720.00 worth of McIntosh 1 meter mini-jack cables versus $60.00 worth of Parts Express 6' mini-jack cables. That means I have cabled my two McIntosh systems' components with power control cables for the price of 1 McIntosh branded 1 meter mini-jack cable."

I guess you have done it for looks rather than performance?

Last edited by NZ421291; 10-10-2019 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 AM

Dan-

Thanks for the fuse thread link.

NZ421291-

I guess that once performance has been tweaked to the max, aesthetics are next!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Dan, I guess you have changed your mind :-)

Quoting Dan (on another forum)

May 6, 2015, 09:33 PM

"One thing I differ from you on is I see no value at all in the McIntosh branded stereo mini-jack cable used for power control of the components. There is no audio signal passing through this cable, only 5 volts or 12 volts to trigger the relay circuits and meter lighting. I use 6' stereo mini-jack cables from Parts Express that are priced less than $5.00 each. I see no reason to pay $60.00 for a 1 meter stereo mini-jack cable with McIntosh logos on the fancy gold connectors when I can achieve the exact same results with a Parts Express cable at approximately 8% of the cost of the McIntosh branded cable. If there was a performance gain to be acquired, that might alter my thinking but there is nothing the 1 meter McIntosh cable at $60.00 provides that the 6' Parts Express cable at $5.00 does not provide. Actually, I get an additional 31 inches of cable length to boot. I use 12 power control cables with my McIntosh components. That's $720.00 worth of McIntosh 1 meter mini-jack cables versus $60.00 worth of Parts Express 6' mini-jack cables. That means I have cabled my two McIntosh systems' components with power control cables for the price of 1 McIntosh branded 1 meter mini-jack cable."

I guess you have done it for looks rather than performance?
Nick.......Yes, I remember posting that sentiment, and in fact still see no reason to spend $60.00 to $80.00 for one and two meter McIntosh branded power control cables where they cannot be seen, i.e. behind a rack. My situation now, with the MC75 amplifiers having the connection sides of their chassis visible, is the cheap molded plastic Parts Express power control cables presented an eye sore to me. It was strictly a desire for cleaner looking aesthetics that prompted me to shell out $140.00 for the two McIntosh power control cables. They are far more attractive to look at than the black molded plastic cables. Do I think the $60.00 and $80.00 McIntosh power control cables perform any better than the $6.00 cables? No, but they look attractive, and that was my goal. I still believe the McIntosh control cables are over priced for what they are, but sometimes you must pay to play.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Dan-

Thanks for the fuse thread link.
John.......If you decide you want to experiment with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses, contact Chris at VH Audio https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html . He has lower pricing on the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses than Music Direct, Parts Connection, The Cable Company, and others, plus he has quick shipping. Chris buys the HiFi Tuning fuses in bulk from Germany so they do not come in the little black boxes. He ships them in small zip lock bags. This helps keep the price down. My two T2.5 (5 x 20mm) fuses cost $75.00 each. The other companies mentioned are asking $99.00 and up for the same fuse. Hope this helps.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/fuses.htm

Last edited by jdandy; 10-10-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Paul and Dan-

Thanks for the info. I have had a look and may more seriously consider it down the road. At least I'll fewer fuses than Paul. OUCH!

VHAudio has been a good place to buy cable and connectors. Good prices and service. I will certainly give them top priority in purchasing.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......If you decide you want to experiment with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses, contact Chris at VH Audio https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html. My two T2.5 (5 x 20mm) fuses cost $75.00 each.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/fuses.htm
Dan - did you find the same positive SQ results changing the fuses in the MC75s as you did changing the fuses in the C2300?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Dan - did you find the same positive SQ results changing the fuses in the MC75s as you did changing the fuses in the C2300?
Glenn.......It's been over seven years since I installed the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse in the C2300 preamplifier. I do remember it had a positive impact on the sound system's overall clarity, but to what degree is a bit vague now. I can say without reservation that the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses installed in the MC75 amplifiers definitely improved the overall resolution. The sensation of authenticity to voices, instruments, and dynamics gained a more intense focus. At the price of these fuses it is worth experimenting. The performance boost across the spectrum is akin to moving to top shelf interconnects from your favorite company, and far less expensive. Give the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses a try. I feel certain you will be more than impressed with what you hear.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Nick.......Yes, I remember posting that sentiment, and in fact still see no reason to spend $60.00 to $80.00 for one and two meter McIntosh branded power control cables where they cannot be seen, i.e. behind a rack. My situation now, with the MC75 amplifiers having the connection sides of their chassis visible, is the cheap molded plastic Parts Express power control cables presented an eye sore to me. It was strictly a desire for cleaner looking aesthetics that prompted me to shell out $140.00 for the two McIntosh power control cables. They are far more attractive to look at than the black molded plastic cables. Do I think the $60.00 and $80.00 McIntosh power control cables perform any better than the $6.00 cables? No, but they look attractive, and that was my goal. I still believe the McIntosh control cables are over priced for what they are, but sometimes you must pay to play.
I have to say that the McIntosh sure look FAR better than generic control cables! Aesthetics are very important- they say we eat first with our eyes, same true for listening- we listen first with our eyes (no matter how many audiophiles insist they do not!)