AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Yes, speaking in absolute terms,

It's that effortless dynamic contrast that Wilson is so good at bringing out. Paired with the ultra resolving but oh so smooth and natural sounding D'Agostino, that has tons of current and grip over the speaker and it is tough to beat that combination for sure.

Harbeth can't quite match it and neither can the Luxman pull off that ultra resolving response. What they both lack in the ultimate resolution, together they still create a very enjoyable and musical presentation.

I am fully able to resolve the differences, even on the computer but as I said, I am just as emotionally moved by the Luxman/Harbeth as I was by Wilson/D'Agostino.

The question is still left up for the debate, are these differences worth the heavy premiums. Is that elusive pinnacle so important in chasing? What are your opinions on this?
It's the same as with cars and many other luxuries we have (or want). If I'm really really into cars, then yes it would be worth it to stretch my budget to get the car I want. If I am into stereos then I would stretch my budget for that.

Unfortunately for me, I'm into both, and I'm not rich So I have to compromise.

It is worth it to a certain degree, it's where your bank account gives out that keeps most of us grounded. That being said, you can buy a fun car for a reasonable amount of money and you can also buy a fun stereo for a reasonable amount of money. As long as you can put the stuff you want but can't afford out of your head, you will be happy.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Serge - it would be interesting to edit these videos and remove all the visual cues - maybe just a black screen with a number on it. Only the audio would be different. Then see what the results are.

Tom
Tom, that’s the interesting part. I myself didn’t need a screen.. After quite a few of the not so inexpensive “vertical upgrades” in cables, amps and speakers, I came to the realization that for the most part we tend to really complicate our lives willingly.

A good speaker is just that, a good speaker. For the most part, when we compare, it is often something we heard elsewhere, in a different room, at different volume level.

I nearly fell out of the chair the first time I was introduced to the sheer dynamic punch and eye flinching/gut punching/rectum puckering, dynamic slam of the big Wilson Alexandrias...

Surely there are instances where a bigger, much more expensive speaker will shine and be clearly better.

In my case, the Sophia, followed by Sasha, followed by Alexia, going from basic Transparent cables to the obscenely priced levels, from the fantastic, great bang for the buck Bryston Amps to the marvelous D’Agostinos at multiples of the price, while yielding an improvement, has also underlined the fact that the higher up one goes, the steeper the diminishing returns are.

I could have drawn the line anywhere along those rungs up the ladder of audio nirvana and been perfectly happy.

For me a lesson was learned, I got so burned out by the constant push from the dealer who really meant the best (full trade in values for vertical upgrades!) and erecting illusive scenarios in my mind, that I started to forget what it was like to simply sit, let the analytical mind rest and enjoy what I had already accomplished.

As always, this is IMHO, and YMMV...

Last edited by PHC1; 07-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
It's the same as with cars and many other luxuries we have (or want). If I'm really really into cars, then yes it would be worth it to stretch my budget to get the car I want. If I am into stereos then I would stretch my budget for that.

Unfortunately for me, I'm into both, and I'm not rich So I have to compromise.

It is worth it to a certain degree, it's where your bank account gives out that keeps most of us grounded. That being said, you can buy a fun car for a reasonable amount of money and you can also buy a fun stereo for a reasonable amount of money. As long as you can put the stuff you want but can't afford out of your head, you will be happy.
I’ve read many articles on “being happy” and being happy while being “rich” by definition. Turns out, having more $$$$ than a “comfortable level” where one can afford to pay all the bills and have enough left over to indulge in things for the “soul”, having even $ millions on top, sadly doesn’t make one any more happy at all.

I know, hard to believe but it is true. Problem being is that the bigger more expensive “toys” are no more satisfying than the lesser but already useful and pleasurable ones. A Sophia owner may dream of Sasha, a Sasha owner dreams of Alexia and so it goes... Then there are those that buy the Wamm and are bored because there is nowhere to go after that.. It doesn’t seem to be the right answer at all.

Last edited by PHC1; 07-11-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 PM

To add a word about cars... I have a very successful friend who used to trade in his one Ferrari for the next before even washing it once. I kid you not... he went through just about all the models in the span of about 30 years of Ferrari cars in about a year and a half. Nuts! He told me he got “bored” with it all...

I casually mentioned perhaps a nice house down the shore and taking the summers off to be with his family would be more “fun”??

That’s where you’ll find him these days in the summers. No more Ferrari cars in his garage either and not because he can’t afford them, just that his outlook on life and priorities have changed.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM

PrimaLuna gets to acquit itself. I realized that when I recorded the videos yesterday, the Luxman has been on all day so nice and toasty and ready to sing but the PrimaLuna was only on for less than 10 min, cold, cranky and running in low power Triode mode. Silly me...

Today I gave it the proper 30 min warmup, switched into Ultra-Linear mode for a better comparison.

Luxman https://youtu.be/EOSIEiNmVAM

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP. https://youtu.be/ssS7xs9YW-0

What is everyone's pick out of this comparison?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM

I'll simply say, I prefer the system with the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP in comparison to the Luxman. I could live with the PrimaLuna system, but overall I still prefer the Wilson setup.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 07-11-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Primaluna for me.
Tonality is better, specialy piano, so full and rich.more texture also on primaluna
Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Yeah, not bad for EL34 tubes at 70w of power in ultra-linear mode. PrimaLuna is a no non-sense, value packed product for sure. https://www.primaluna-usa.com/primal...ube-integrated
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM

The PrimaLuna is not a wallflower when it comes to some rather impressive dynamics for a tube amp either. In Ultra-Linear mode it does quite well to reproduce quite a bit of dynamic contrast that your speakers are capable of.

Hard to judge by the lousy iphone recordings of course and youtube compression as far as dynamics go but trust me, PrimaLuna does not back down. One of my favorite dynamic range recordings is the Hugh Masekela "Hope" album on both vinyl and SACD. Highly recommend it if it is not already in your collection.

So I grabbed what I thought is a pretty good example of PrimaLuna and Harbeth locked in sync and synergy to produce great dynamic contrast and present the "purity" of the human voice which is both the PL and Harbeth forte!

https://youtu.be/lBbmoPP--PM
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 PM

trying to compare audio systems or make any type of judgement at all from a computer is ridiculous - sorry - and it's even in different rooms.