AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4801  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Good idea. And, It's possible, but I'd probably just buy it. He lives far away, probably a one-way ship If I can find out if the LP3a has more gain than my Cary SLP-98L preamp (sounds amazing), it would give me a baseline to know to try or not from a gain perspective. I'm not thrilled with connecting/disconnecting any more; kinda do need a sep preamp or just sell the Inspire amp.

To your point, if I'm grasping it, I still don't know what this little Hot Rod can do and will hear until I try these things, giving it more time. Will think about it. Thx.
Yes, give it more time to settle in like 200 hours or so. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #4802  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 AM
decooney decooney is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Yes, give it more time to settle in like 200 hours or so. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Will do.

Some of our earlier discussions with all of you guys helped to decide to keep the larger system as-is (sounds nice), not try to replace it, and give more time to the little Inspire stereo amp, as a separate system - no longer trying to ask it to replace the larger system, amps. With the extra gain of the SLP98 pre, and it has two pre-outs, all sources connected there, its now serving as a double-duty pre for both amps. Change of plans. Maybe a LP27A down the road after the holidays. If know if I did that I'd be tempted to acquire a 2nd Hot Rod and go back to the dual bi-amp idea. Holding off for now on all of that. May go back to messing with upgrading a different pair of smaller speakers to try again with little Hot Rod in Sept/Oct after summer is over. Winter project.


...

Last edited by decooney; 08-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4803  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Will do.

Some of our earlier discussions with all of you guys helped to decide to keep the larger system as-is (sounds nice), not try to replace it, and give more time to the little Inspire stereo amp, as a separate system - no longer trying to ask it to replace the larger system, amps. With the extra gain of the SLP98 pre, and it has two pre-outs, all sources connected there, its now serving as a double-duty pre for both amps. Change of plans. Maybe a LP27A down the road after the holidays. If know if I did that I'd be tempted to acquire a 2nd Hot Rod and go back to the dual bi-amp idea. Holding off for now on all of that. May go back to messing with upgrading a different pair of smaller speakers to try again with little Hot Rod in Sept/Oct after summer is over. Winter project.
...
Good plan. FWIW, I have the LP27a, a keeper, but today would opt for the LP3a. Why? Because there are a lot of 6SN7 and 6SL7's out there and I'm a hopeless Tube-O-Holic.
Reply With Quote
  #4804  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:08 PM
BearCityUSA's Avatar
BearCityUSA BearCityUSA is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Good plan. FWIW, I have the LP27a, a keeper, but today would opt for the LP3a. Why? Because there are a lot of 6SN7 and 6SL7's out there and I'm a hopeless Tube-O-Holic.


Just keep buying 27s and 56s. How can your descendants have enough?

Image1533672460.479870.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4805  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Just keep buying 27s and 56s. How can your descendants have enough?

Attachment 56079
I did when I got the pre 3 years ago. I have enough to have a few with me when I'm mummified.

I have no plans to get another preamp.
Reply With Quote
  #4806  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Bombadil Bombadil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 405
Default

I went to a radio swap meet last year where a guy was selling dozens of 27 and 56 tubes for $1 each.
Reply With Quote
  #4807  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I went to a radio swap meet last year where a guy was selling dozens of 27 and 56 tubes for $1 each.
You need to be sure they test good and are not noisy.

27 has been around for almost 100 years. I'm not sure when production ceased. There are still plenty of them around. I don't find much sonic difference between different brands of ST27's.
Reply With Quote
  #4808  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Bombadil Bombadil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 405
Default

I have nothing which uses 27 or 56 tubes. But I picked up 4 each, for $8 total, just in case I ever do.
Reply With Quote
  #4809  
Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Analog Addict Analog Addict is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 173
Default You heard it here first....

Fresh from the Toy Store...

Brand new LP-76 pre amp, using 76 tubes. 14 db or so gain...

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Brand new improved Original Fire Bottle, featuring voltage regulation, new and improved output transformers and metal 6F6 tubes, although I believe it will play all the usual suspects. 3 WPC with the 6F6s and I was shocked how impressive those 3 watts were....

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Nothing like the smell of the "burning" paint of NOS metal tubes!
Reply With Quote
  #4810  
Old 08-10-2018, 07:21 PM
BearCityUSA's Avatar
BearCityUSA BearCityUSA is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Fresh from the Toy Store...

Brand new LP-76 pre amp, using 76 tubes. 14 db or so gain...

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Please tell us more about this lp-76 if you will.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase