AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmeloman View Post
Quite right.

I found a buyer for my "Inspire". Found a proposal for the CAD-300SEI (1995, also with a gold panel, like my player.).

At the same time I can not compare. Both options seem good, and the speakers are still on the road for delivery.
I had the 300SE mono blocks in 1994. Nice, but I'd keep the Inspire gear and not be seduced by the golden girl.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Default When more tubes means more heat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
That is Dennis’ PSE(Pentode) running 4 6f6g. The previous picture from that post is AA’s PSE(T) 71A with 6 power tubes. Real space heaters they both are.
Okay, I edited my prior post inserting both pics for correction and reference.

Speaking of space heaters, I hear ya. I run this upgraded V12R more so in the cooler months of the year. This version has the larger transformers too for added heat along side 12 EL34 output tubes and 4 other input tubes. A local 50-year tech buddy added the new Mundorf EVO Silver-Gold caps for me and Hexfreds. It truly holds its own now on sound, particularly in Triode mode, sounds lovely actually. Bought the DH Inspire Hot Rod for warmer months was my original excuse to myself, hahah . Reminds me again one of the reasons why I originally bought and rotate the little Inspire stereo amp in. The next attempt was to see if the Inspire Monos could displace the V12R permanently. When I spoke with Dennis a while back, he reminded me he still has a V12R but wonder if it ever gets used now with all this new cool Inspire stuff around.

Last edited by decooney; 07-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 AM

The Hot Rod won't ever replace 50 triode watts with your speakers. My speakers are, nominally, 98-99db. I brought my triode strapped Inspire gear to a friend's house and drove 104 db Volti Audio modified La Scalas a couple of years ago. Pope 6v6's in it and it was sublime. WAY better than my Heresy III's. It's simple physics and you can't get around that. The 24 watt, with KT88's, might be the ticket but you need to discus this with Dennis. You may just need 50 watts to get the sound you want.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I had the 300SE mono blocks in 1994. Nice, but I'd keep the Inspire gear and not be seduced by the golden girl.
Inspire Triode SET - 3-7 watts maximum
The 300SEI has 11-15 watts

Is not there a gain?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Yes, there would be a power gain with the 300SEI. Can you hold off on the deal until your speakers arrive? Then you could compare them and trust your ears.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 07-11-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The Hot Rod won't ever replace 50 triode watts with your speakers. My speakers are, nominally, 98-99db. I brought my triode strapped Inspire gear to a friend's house and drove 104 db Volti Audio modified La Scalas a couple of years ago. Pope 6v6's in it and it was sublime. WAY better than my Heresy III's. It's simple physics and you can't get around that. The 24 watt, with KT88's, might be the ticket but you need to discus this with Dennis. You may just need 50 watts to get the sound you want.
Edit, Ok. Seems I may need to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by decooney; 07-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, there would be a power gain with the 300SEI. Can you hold off on the deal until your speakers arrive? Then you could compare them and trust your ears.
I decided not to tempt myself. I'll stay with "Inspire". In the previous setup, they impressed me and it's a new thing! There is a possibility of expansion for a subwoofer, which is very important for small speakers.

Here on AA I saw experiments with FMOD for a subwoofer, but unfortunately did not find the results.

How did it end?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I decided not to tempt myself. I'll stay with "Inspire". In the previous setup, they impressed me and it's a new thing! There is a possibility of expansion for a subwoofer, which is very important for small speakers.

Here on AA I saw experiments with FMOD for a subwoofer, but unfortunately did not find the results.

How did it end?

The fmods did not do anything positive to my system with monitor speakers and subs. Others here have had the opposite experience.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:

How did it end?
I've not heard them but Pro Ac's are what Dennis is voicing the Inspire gear with now. You may be quite surprised with the pairing.

The internet induces Audio Nervosa.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:

How did it end?
I tried both 50Hz and 70Hz High Pass FMODs in my system with ProAc 1SC speakers and a HSU subwoofer. I ended up not leaving them in the system and instead am running the ProAc's full frequency and have adjusted the crossover point and volume level on my sub (with the use of a SPL meter and a test disc) to give me a seamless transition. Have considered trying a PFMOD some time in the future.