AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Which had the better DAC? The MCD550 or the C52?
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Zakon View Post
Good day to all

I am also using Mcintosh C52 in my 2ch/HT setup based on 2 Macintosh MC-601 power amps, Mcintosh MC152 for zone B, Mcintosh C205, player OPPO 105D, B&W 802D, 805Dspeakers (see photo in attachment). Transport is MacMini connected to C52 by Curious USB cable. Waiting for upgrade in a week by Uptone Regen and JS-2 Linear Power Supply.
The software I use is Roon. And I faced a problem with Roon 1.1 and C52 with herable electric clicks when manually switching between songs. But after I updated to Roon 1.2 problem disappeared.
Before C52 I had Classe Sigma SSP. It is not correct to compare a preamp and sound processor. But both offer digital music through the USB and have balanced connectors for stereo. What can I say Mcintosh is sounds 10 times better.

great looking system, what is you racking?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Thanks Hector and you to enjoy your system.

Leftside, I found the MCD550 to have a warmer presentation and the C52 DAC to be on the analytical side and a slightly forward presentation.

Regards
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcityguy View Post
great looking system, what is you racking?
Racks are Spectral

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-273114301.jpg (45.5 KB, 341 views)
Digital:modified Mac mini as Roon server with Uptone JS-2 Linear Power Supply which is connected to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB with Curious USB cable and then by Transparent Audio 110ohm Premium AES/EBU cable to Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference series 2;
BD/SACD/CD player OPPO 205 (which also works as home theatre processor),
Preamp:Dan D’Agostino Progression preamp,
Amplifiers: 2 Dan D’Agostino Progression monoblock power amps,
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexx,
Power unit: Nordost QBase Qb8 Mark II, QKore 6 earth unit
Audio Cables: Transparent Audio G5 Reference SC and balanced IC, the rest are all G5 Ultra
Power Cables: OMVLabs, Nordost

Last edited by jdandy; 02-16-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 02-13-2017, 04:47 PM

For a streaming solution - has anyone compared the integrated DAC against the DACs of the streamers/networkplayers? Say a Linn Majik or similar in terms of quality. Is it worth investing more into a better networkplayer because of a better DAC or will the C52 do the job just as fine so that you can hook up any capable networkplayer?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:12 PM

I have a Sonos which has an internal DAC but run the Sonos through my C52...Sounds fantastic !
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 AM

Finally got my c52, I love it. It's paired with a mc 452 power amp. A few questions. I have to turn the knob up from in between 60 and 70 for quite a few songs to get the songs to play at a loud level. Is this normal? When you have yours cranked are you often in the 59 to 70 range depending on source material?

I'd like to ask the owners of this fine pre-power-amp combo if your using balanced or unbalanced interconnects between pre amp and power amp. I know the c 52 is not balanced. I'm pretty sure the mc 452 it completely balanced. Which is the best way to go? A huge thank you to anyone who can help me out here. Thank you Friends.

Mikey
Old 04-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie78 View Post
Finally got my c52, I love it. It's paired with a mc 452 power amp. A few questions. I have to turn the knob up from in between 60 and 70 for quite a few songs to get the songs to play at a loud level. Is this normal? When you have yours cranked are you often in the 59 to 70 range depending on source material?

I'd like to ask the owners of this fine pre-power-amp combo if your using balanced or unbalanced interconnects between pre amp and power amp. I know the c 52 is not balanced. I'm pretty sure the mc 452 it completely balanced. Which is the best way to go? A huge thank you to anyone who can help me out here. Thank you Friends.

Mikey

What speakers are you using and what is their sensitivity?

What source are you using? If a turntable, are you sure you have it connected to the correct input for your cartridge? Eg MC or MM?

Do you have to use this volume level on all sources?

While I don’t own a C52, I have experience with other McPreamps and a MC452. Even driving a set of Infinity Betas with 88/89db sensitivity, I never had a volume control over 50 without bleeding ears.

Does the C52 allow you to trim the input levels on each source? What is your source set at?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Default High volume

Willi , I own the dynaudio excite 44 floor standing speakers, with 88/89db sensitivity. And yes, I have to use that volume on all sources. cd player, media streamer, etc.. I don't listen to vinyl. As far as trim levels, they all are at factory pre settings, I haven't messed around with those yet . I 'll look in to it. I always have tone controls shut off when listening. Wow, so 50 would bring the noise for you eh? Amazing, 50 for me on all sources would be moderate volume. say mediumish. Not loud , not quiet, in the middle, dang. Im using Silver Streak (Pair) Kimber Kable length 2.0 meter non balanced interconnects between pre and power amp.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Default McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review

I have 802 Diamonds with 90db sensitivity (I believe)... with a Vinyl output signal of 66db I turn the C52 to 35 % to get loud(ish) - Meters somewhere between -20 and -30... CD pretty much same (maybe a little quieter depending on recording - think the output signal is a little weaker). I measure somewhere between 80 and 90 dB @ my listening seat... Pretty much depends on the output settings of the source... CD Input and c52 at 70 - 80% should be loud though... Meters running high....