AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4431  
Old 04-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is online now
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 4,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
This forum seems kind of "dormant"..................
Well............. if hasn't been said in 4400 and some odd posts............
Is this the longest thread on AAf?
__________________
Glenn...
Accuphase T-106 Canton Reference 9K Clearaudio SM Pro RCM Manley Labs Mahi monoblocs Oppo 203 Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk Schiit Saga & Valhalla 2 Sennheiser HD650 Sony TA-F707ES & ST-J75 SurgeX XR-315 VPI Capital Scout, 2x JMW9 Sig w/Lyra, Ortofon K-b & 2M Blk, AT33R & AT150Ti WireWorld Eclipse Gold & Silver 7s & Nano-Eclipse Yamaha T-85
Reply With Quote
  #4432  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 PM
jimi55 jimi55 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I go for the balloon-type 56's (any brand, these just sound more transparent than the 27's in my system), with a Pope 80. I've returned to the original 6BX7 for the input from a Psvane 6SN7. YMMV
Have you tried any other rectfiers with an adapter in place of the 80 tube?
Reply With Quote
  #4433  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi55 View Post
Have you tried any other rectfiers with an adapter in place of the 80 tube?
I've only used 80's in the LP-27a. I've been assuming this rectifier is the one the Pre was designed for. Since a Pre is quite delicate and easy to derail from the intended design aimed at avoiding adding noise, color and other nasties to the signal before amplification, and since mine is quite transparent (in my view), I've never even thought about experimenting with other rectifiers (as opposed to the Amp's case).

... What other alternatives are there with/without adapters?
__________________
Laptop>Fidelizer>MinServer>Kazoo>JPlay>EITR>Yggdrasill>LP-27a>KT88-Triode>Tekton Lore 2
Reply With Quote
  #4434  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Well............. if hasn't been said in 4400 and some odd posts............
Is this the longest thread on AAf?
Oh sure, this has been a very rich and resilient thread ... I just meant it seemed quiet recently
__________________
Laptop>Fidelizer>MinServer>Kazoo>JPlay>EITR>Yggdrasill>LP-27a>KT88-Triode>Tekton Lore 2
Reply With Quote
  #4435  
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 PM
jimi55 jimi55 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I've only used 80's in the LP-27a. I've been assuming this rectifier is the one the Pre was designed for. Since a Pre is quite delicate and easy to derail from the intended design aimed at avoiding adding noise, color and other nasties to the signal before amplification, and since mine is quite transparent (in my view), I've never even thought about experimenting with other rectifiers (as opposed to the Amp's case).

... What other alternatives are there with/without adapters?
I have some nice 5Y3's I was thinking of trying in the LP27a with adapter. It seems most of the 5 volt rectifiers can be used with the amps.
Reply With Quote
  #4436  
Old 04-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi55 View Post
I have some nice 5Y3's I was thinking of trying in the LP27a with adapter. It seems most of the 5 volt rectifiers can be used with the amps.
On the Amp? Surely! The 5Y3 GT, for example, is virtually electrically identical to the older four-pin type 80 tube, but with an octal base. In the Amp I pair different rectifiers with the kind of output tubes in each case.

My point is the Preamp may not feel happy with an adapter as this in itself is another source of signal path intrusion. Of course worth trying to compare, but in my book it is not necessary. The 80 is remarkably inconspicuous. The beauty of this Pre is its contribution to body and gain with barely a tradeoff. Part of this achievement stems from the 80's traits. By all means give it a try and please report back.
__________________
Laptop>Fidelizer>MinServer>Kazoo>JPlay>EITR>Yggdrasill>LP-27a>KT88-Triode>Tekton Lore 2

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 04-14-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4437  
Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM
jimi55 jimi55 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 20
Default

You are so right. I think I will just stay with the 80 on the LP-27a. I've got plenty different ones to roll.
Reply With Quote
  #4438  
Old 04-17-2018, 06:11 PM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi55 View Post
You are so right. I think I will just stay with the 80 on the LP-27a. I've got plenty different ones to roll.
The LP27a is designed for an 80 or 5Y3. You will likely have an early 4th of July if you try anything else. The Inspire amps are where you can experiment with rectifiers.
Reply With Quote
  #4439  
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM
BearCityUSA's Avatar
BearCityUSA BearCityUSA is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The LP27a is designed for an 80 or 5Y3. You will likely have an early 4th of July if you try anything else. The Inspire amps are where you can experiment with rectifiers.


Not sure about that. If you go back a couple years here you will find that those of us with octal rectifier sockets in our linestages have tried every rectifier we have tried in our amps to varying degrees of satisfaction. That being said I have not with my lp-27a. If I was still rolling like a mad man as before I would confirm with DH and have at it.
Reply With Quote
  #4440  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Not sure about that. If you go back a couple years here you will find that those of us with octal rectifier sockets in our linestages have tried every rectifier we have tried in our amps to varying degrees of satisfaction. That being said I have not with my lp-27a. If I was still rolling like a mad man as before I would confirm with DH and have at it.
I would confirm with DH
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase