AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
I am confused now. C47 or C2600. Digital is my only source connected to a laptop. Plus I need HT Bypass.

Here is one opinion.

Buy a C2300 and then the DAC of your choice. As that technology advances every year, if not faster, you have options on DACs.

A C2300 and a TEAC UD503 would be a great start.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Here is one opinion.

Buy a C2300 and then the DAC of your choice. As that technology advances every year, if not faster, you have options on DACs.

I just ordered the 2600. Figure with the price of the dac + 2300, the price is very close without the HT.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM

^^^

Nice!!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Racing Hoopties

Never had a bad choice. Congratulations!!!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
I just ordered the 2600. Figure with the price of the dac + 2300, the price is very close without the HT.

Congrats!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Thanks guys. I will post pics when I get it.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Here is one opinion.

This is good advice. Having auditioned the C47, C22/C2300 and C2600, I went for the C22. I preferred both tube models to the C47 and prefer the ergonomics of the C22, since RCs of all types disappear in our house.

Both the C22 and 2600 were socially superior in my system to the D100 used directly into my MC275. I now have a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC running into the C22 and the sound through my Harbeths is absolutely mesmerizing. I like the flexibility of an outboard DAC, but a built-in is certainly more convenient -- neither option is a bad one. My experiences with the D100 convinced me to look to other manufacturers for a DAC. Otherwise I could easily have opted for the 2600 and its larger array of inputs/outputs, etc.

For me, any differences between these three preamps have to do with preference since they're all superb-sounding. And in my case, the C22 was available as an ex-dem at a substantial discount. Case closed.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM

best of luck!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapa View Post
This is good advice. Having auditioned the C47, C22/C2300 and C2600, I went for the C22. I preferred both tube models to the C47 and prefer the ergonomics of the C22, since RCs of all types disappear in our house.

Both the C22 and 2600 were socially superior in my system to the D100 used directly into my MC275. I now have a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC running into the C22 and the sound through my Harbeths is absolutely mesmerizing. I like the flexibility of an outboard DAC, but a built-in is certainly more convenient -- neither option is a bad one. My experiences with the D100 convinced me to look to other manufacturers for a DAC. Otherwise I could easily have opted for the 2600 and its larger array of inputs/outputs, etc.

For me, any differences between these three preamps have to do with preference since they're all superb-sounding. And in my case, the C22 was available as an ex-dem at a substantial discount. Case closed.
I can't help but wonder if you did not like the D100 due to it's preamp performance as opposed to it's DAC performance. I had a similar experience. I originally used a D100 variable outputs (pre) directly to an MC452. I thought it sounded decent but I never expected much from it as a pre given the cost compared to higher end MC pre's. I then tried the D100 fixed level outputs (DAC) to a C2500 pre and was amazed at the improvement. This left me with impression that the D100 is a good performing DAC but not so good as a pre.
I would think the C2600 DAC portion is on par or better than the D100. That along with other analog improvements should make the C2600 an outstanding performer.
Anyway, sounds like Yggdrasil + C22 is a killer combination. Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 AM

Can one configure so that when the passthru is selected, the meter lights on the pre/amp turn off. Any other inputs, the meter light goes on. Looks like the manual states that the meter light is not independently stored on each input. .

I am using a stereo cable trigger from AVR to C2600. Just read a post on another forum that a mono is required.

Last edited by tractng; 03-23-2017 at 04:18 AM.