AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 AM

Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between a question and a pretext for an argument.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between a question and a pretext for an argument.
That's true, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially here on the Friendly Forum for High-End Audio. Those who come here seeking argument eventually reveal themselves.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:55 PM

Actually I was BOTH giving my opinion and asking for yours. That's the point of such forums, isn't it ?
Old 01-20-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Actually I was BOTH giving my opinion and asking for yours. That's the point of such forums, isn't it ?
Yes, I think so. This is a forum for the exchange of knowledge, ideas, and experience. And because it is the Friendly Forum, we should be free to do that without derision. There's enough of that in the world already!
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
It is and I gave you my opinion on having heard both. I have heard both numerous times but in different systems and at different times. How that can possibly help you, I have no idea... unless of course someone has done a direct A/B and will chime in. Both the EAR and ARC are great preamps but they are different flavor and I am sure you have heard that yourself since you preferred one over the other.

But as I said in my other post, if YOU have heard and compared both and clearly liked the 912 for your system, getting further opinions is still not going to help you in the end as you are the one that has to live with it.

If you have an opportunity to listen to the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe, which I also owned and did compare by bringing it over to my friend against the ARC Ref 5, I preferred the creamy, dreamy, slightly darker and meatier presentation over the leaner, but more resolving, crystalline and ethereal sounding Ref5

Just to clarify, my original post was not meant to be rude or to suggest one should not ask questions. I always say it like it is and I doubt the original meaning of my initial post can be twisted out of context in such a way as to make it look like anything else but what I initially said.

Conflicting opinions or a Confirmation bias, after having made up your mind by directly evaluating a product and liking it, does not exactly serve as help.

Also keeping in mind that all 3 of the preamps are TUBE and with tube rolling coming further differences and flavors... Other than having a cheerful discussion about all three preamps, nothing should change as to which you should go with . Right??

Or I can put it another way. What do you want to hear?

Perhaps others can cater to your question better as obviously my direct, logical and reassuring answer was NOT good enough.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-20-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 PM
George

I think it is very valuable to ask if others have the same impression. It can be a great way to learn. I remember buying a preamp and feeling like it was really good and asking others opinion. The comments back were that they sounded good but grainy... I was shocked... I then heard it. I didn’t know what grain was, but when I listened for it there it was. So I learned something... that could not be unheard... I traded the preamp and got a better one without grain. I would have figured it out myself sooner or later. But it is useful.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I think it is very valuable to ask if others have the same impression. It can be a great way to learn. I remember buying a preamp and feeling like it was really good and asking others opinion. The comments back were that they sounded good but grainy... I was shocked... I then heard it. I didn’t know what grain was, but when I listened for it there it was. So I learned something... that could not be unheard... I traded the preamp and got a better one without grain. I would have figured it out myself sooner or later. But it is useful.
The case of the grainy preamp...

Which preamp would have been that grainy George? I am curious.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I think it is very valuable to ask if others have the same impression. It can be a great way to learn ...
Absolutely! And one of the benefits of seeking opinions about a specific component here is that someone else's experience might be with different associated components, and that may yield different results. Synergy matters.

Also, it can be helpful to just follow someone else's reasoning, even if it leads him to a different conclusion. I do that with a variety of things outside of audio and it helps me make better decisions. Sometimes, it leads me to the same decision I would have made on my own, but it reinforces my confidence in the choice I'm making.

I am a big believer in asking questions. Along the way, I've learned that there is a polite way to ask any question, no matter how sensitive or personal the question might be.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:29 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The case of the grainy preamp...

Which preamp would have been that grainy George? I am curious.
I wish I could remember for sure it might have been an old Bryston. Or a sounds like.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-25-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:45 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I am a big believer in asking questions. Along the way, I've learned that there is a polite way to ask any question, no matter how sensitive or personal the question might be.
Absolutely! In my work days as an IT senior executive in the transition from mostly interpersonal communication to a dominantly email driven communication I learned that the possibility of coming off wrong is soooo easy. But that it simply requires some thought to take the judgment and condescension from ones writing. Writing too quickly can lead to ones own egocentrism to drive what you write. I tremendously value courtesy when demonstrated on this forum. I do not bother anymore with many other forums full of self righteous individuals trying to demonstrate their superiority in thought, perception, or perspective. My objective is to learn from others and share my knowledge not engage in pointless... or even pointed challenges.