View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Truer words were never spoken!

For what it's worth, I recently replaced the original 12AX7's that came with my PrimaLuna DiaLogue One (they are basically new-production Shuguang tubes that test very high) with new-production Mullard's. I had heard many great things about these, so why not? I have less than 100 hours on them, but in my amp, my system, and to my ears, they are less crisp and a TAD less detailed than the stock PrimaLuna tubes, with a slightly rolled-off top end (ie: is this what is normally called "warmer"?). But, frankly, I like them! The warmer character and darker top end help significantly with listening fatigue, and so far at least they seem more "musical" and involving to me. I would recommend them, but, again, in your system and to your ears the results could be different...
I had new-production Mullards in my C2300 for a bit. I liked them, but as time went on the low end disappeared somewhat. They probably didn't get enough time to fill out, but they got enough for the basic character to come through. I may put them back in for another 40–50 hours, unless the incoming Psvanes are killer.

I agree about warmer tubes and listening fatigue, though. The longest-tenured tubes in my 2300 are JJ ECC803s tubes. Warmer than the Mullards, with a weighty, full bottom end compared to everything else I've tried, making them good for home theater, too. No listening fatigue even at (for me) high volumes.

This all coming from a neophyte tube listener with solid-state leanings.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks