Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I recently auditioned an Aqua La Scala MKII (~$7,700) in my system. It is a only a DAC.

In direct comparison to my K-03x with Cybershaft OP17 clock, I could only detect improved sound in complex orchestral sections of some Mahler symphonies. The La Scala was cleaner and clearer. For the other 99% of the music I used to compare, there were no audible differences. Certainly not enough for me to give up the spinner in the K-03x for the La Scala.

That experience has caused me to pause my search for a better DAC. They were so close that I now realize I have to audition any replacement in my system to be sure I get an improvement. That is nearly impossible. I was very fortunate to have a dealer willing to lend me the La Scala. Very doubtful I can find another dealer willing to lend me an MSB, LampiZator, dCS etc... As a result, I feel stuck.
You know, I don't think you are "stuck" at all. I have always gone for the speaker. You are fortunate in that you have found your speaker and amps, now you can concentrate on the DAC. Why dCS? In the Esoteric line there are much better DAC's. If you like the sound of Esoteric move up the line. You have a long way to go to get to a Grandioso DAC, Master Clock, and Transport.

I really like Esoteric Digital. They have obviously concentrated a lot of their prowess into their digital line.