View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Buck, agree that Seattle does have an active audiophile scene more intense and active than typical. we have a pretty active local (inclusive and open-minded) audio club that meets monthly, and large DIY community, and more than our share of local hifi luminaries. part of it is the very large tech based booming economy, plus lots of large research facilities, and lots of retired military (more in surrounding communities than Seattle). then there is Vancouver B.C. and Portland and the whole Pacific Rim effect with lots of even H.K. influence. and the weather here can be cold, wet and gloomy for 8-9 months a year which does push us inside to some degree.

negatively there is the crazy, expensive, cost of living.....equal to California except SF proper.

i likely know 40-50 local audiophiles myself, and have had 30+ people to my room half a dozen times over the last 10 years for meetings. at least 10 people once a year or more. i have visitors to my room a few times a month it seems. so there is a culture of getting together here.

love it and one of the things which has kept my interest in the hobby over the years........the rich culture and friendships i've enjoyed.
Yeah, that's really cool to be around a lot of like minded hobbyists! You're probably on to something with the weather pushing people and their lifestyles indoors to some extent, didn't think about that.....with the weather down here it's tough to stay indoors for extended periods of time!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3