View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......The W4S DAC2 is worth owning. It sounds wonderful, has a multitude of different digital inputs, can be used in fixed or variable output mode, has balanced and unbalanced outputs, and W4S has an upgrade path should you ever wish to take advantage of DSD. What's not to like. It's a keeper, in my opinion.
Yes, you are spot on. However, my hesitation is in terms of the upgrade path I had developed before the W4S DAC 2 came home for the audition. Namely....

D100, then on to either the MC302 or MC275 XI. Then, maybe, a Mc pre in between the two.

There's nothing wrong with using and enjoying the DAC 2 in the present rig, of course, but it makes me less likely to make the next leap in the near future. One option is to make an upgrade to the speakers first. Perhaps some Contour 1.4s. That would put me in a position to better appreciate the electronic upgrades as they are installed. The Dynaudio 140s are really nice, especially paired with the REL T-5, but I think I'd enjoy things more if I at least felt the speakers could handle the better AQ of the electronics.

Yes, this hobby has many, many opportunities to think of new ways to spend one's resources. Howard's (hkval) urging to me at one point frequently comes to mind, namely, don't worry so much about the technology, just sit back and enjoy the music!