Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
There is a MHDT NOS Havana DAC for sale $400. It's cap coupled and uses one 5670 tube. I've had mine for years. Very musical with plenty of detail. If I replaced it I think I'd look at Audio Note.

There is an ebay seller, kievfilarmony200639, in Ukraine that has some interesting DACS. Someone here in the Shindo forum has one in his rig. I've looked at these for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Good call. IME if you don't like the DACs basic sound, it's really hard to "fix" it with changes to downstream components.

FB, Thanks for the referral. I sort of live in "AudioNote Land" and "PassLand" 'round here, lots of both. Mr. Pass is 20 min away... Our only remaining hi-end audio store (20+ around herein the 70s-80s) now down to one guy, one store, been in business 52 years and he like the the AudioNote king, most of the entire store of all new gear is AN, heard it all. Super nice. Does not follow all the regular engineering rules, only those that sound the best. Maybe when I consolidate back down to a small system, read to retire, it will be AN in the future. Very musical for sure. Last DAC I saw there was only 16bit. Amazing. Agree.

Tyson,
I just know one thing, I want to be "engaged". I know I'm engaged with a system when even the bad recordings sound good too, or at least when I want to listen to the end of the song. When it sounds more like ProAudio, I immediately become fatigued, dis-engaged, and find myself looking for "other" tracks to play. My measure of a decent system is having it sound musical even when the recordings were not so good. Def gonna roll through some other DACs, including a few loaners from friends.

Thanks.