View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_5 View Post
I have a c2500 and a MC152 driving a pair of Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers. I am running it off the 8 ohm terminal, but I read a report where the speaker dips to 3.4 ohms at some point. I am toying with trying the 4 ohm terminals but it is a big ordeal to get behind the audio rack, especially if it is all for nothing.

Assuming I go with the 4 ohm terminals, what should I be listening for to see if it is better and what do you think? Should I just keep it as is?
The operative principle is distortion free power. Using the 8 ohm taps will not harm the amplifier but it may run warmer depending on how much output it is trying to produce. Although McIntosh doesn't explicitly talk about it, an Autoformer model will generate more output (when so driven) when using the higher taps when the impedance seen dips below that value, as opposed to the maximum available when using the lower taps.

Keep in mind the thermal protection and Power Guard circuitry will keep the unit (and speakers) protected so it's virtually impossible to harm the amplifier regardless of what you do.

Also keep in mind most amplifiers tend generate the greatest amount of heat at around a steady 1/3 rated output because output at this level is most taxing to power supplies - even when the closest load matching taps are selected.

The bottom line is the lowest taps will provide for the coolest possible operation under all conditions - keeping in mind the maximum available power will be reduced compared to that otherwise available when the alternative (higher) taps are used.