Thread: MR 80 Restored!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
I've had a half dozen MR74s over the years. During that time, the MR71 was my main tuner. Looking back I don't think I ever gave an MR74 much listening time ... I was buying, restoring, reselling.

Yes, the MR75 has an Alps front end. However, it's really quite a nice sounding tuner. It's just not particularly good at the tuning aspects ...
There's a truly beautiful MR 71 on Ebay for 850 dollars. It looks fully restored. If I were a tuner aficionado (which I am not) I would buy this piece. Also, I don't have an analog input on my preamp (D1100). I have always had a tuner and the D1100 necessitated I buy the MR 87. Now that I have, I'm really glad I did. But this is a beautiful piece for 850 dollars. The 71 is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. It's taken Mac a long time to return to the classic tuning dial of the MR 71. Mac had such a beautiful tuning dial in their vintage tuners before the 80. Then they abandoned it only to resume it in the 87 about 40 years later. To me a tuning dial makes a tuner.

Dumb question: What is "SQ"?

I am retired and do a lot of late night listening in my man cave which is totally isolated from the sleepers in the house. It's my favorite time to listen and I arise in the morning when I feel like it. Right now I'm enjoying the Saens organ symphony through the 87. It's actually quite good.

Last edited by Charles; 07-14-2019 at 04:42 AM.