View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Alberto,

Thanks very much for the advice. Your words are gold.
This is what I sent to the Greek importer :

"Dear Mr Batjakis,

Just to give you more informations about my system and motivations.
My aim is probably to keep the 2301's and have the choice to switch between them and the Shindo amp(s) depending on my mood / type of music played and so on.
My preamp is the McIntosh C1000P. It has 3 or 4 outputs for power amps. So the 2301's and the Shindo amps would stay connected all the time to the preamp. And I will only switch the speaker cables depending on which amp I want to listen to.
My speakers have a 4 ohm nominal impedance and 89 dB efficiency.
I don't want to change them because I love them.
I also love very much the 2301's : they are the best amps I ever heard, no matter the price. But of course, I did not hear everything.
I want to try Shindo amps because they are supposed to be very different than many amps and this would give my system some "fresh air".
I would prefer monoblocks but I'm also opened for a stereo power amp. "

What is strange is we had a couple of mails since this morning and since I mentionned the 2301's, he did not say a word

Of course, I won't buy a Shindo amp if I can't listen to a system who uses it.
But I'm confident I will like this kind of sound. I think that we have similar tastes.
There is a small Shindo club on the french hifi forum. The guys look pretty cool and open minded. I will try a "trade listening" if they want to : go to listen to a Shindo amp and have one or two of them come to hear the 2301's if they want to. That should be easy.

About cutoms finally, no problem. The dealer reminded me that, opposite to what we could think, Greece is in the EEC ( )and therefore, no customs control will be made in France !

BTW, I wish we could have in France the same customs as greeks....

You'll be the first informed with Stephen of what's going on here !
Cheers,
Great news about customs. I had thought about the EEC rules, but figured you knew something I didn't. That makes it a lot easier!

Getting in touch with the local Shindo club sounds like a great idea. I am sure they are a passionate bunch and would love to share their system.

Alberto

PS Your idea of using your preamp to drive two different amps is great. I am a believer in flexible systems (you might recall I used 2 preamps to change to the sound based on the quality of the source material.)

If you do that, you can afford to go to extremes and go for the full SET sound without being concerned that it would be too rich or smooth - since, if the recording (or the mood) calls for it, you can switch back to the more neutral sounding MC2301s.

Sounds like a great plan!

Alberto