Thread: PurePower 2000
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Default PurePower 2000

Got the PurePower 2000 installed in my system today. Since Jacques (Jem666) has already written up much about the unit, I'll try to be brief.

I listened to the PS Audio PPP for the better part of the day and then made the switch to the PurePower and have been casually listening for the last few hours waiting for it to stabilize and the Lamm amps to warm up and come up to speed.

Initial impressions are very positive. I've stopped running my Lamm M1.2s through the PPP a few months ago since I discovered the PPP leans out the sound of my amps for some strange reason. Leaving my whole system plugged in to the PS A PPP and the Lamm amps into the RGPC 600s did the trick and the tonal balance was restored, natural richness of tone that I would not part with if I can help it. I've been running my system that way with great results lately.

I was hoping the PurePower 2000 would not lean out the sound of my Lamm amps like the PPP did. I made sure to listen to the music which I use to judge those parameters by first. So far I am not disappointed, the system sounds natural, rich and very dynamic.

Further listening so far has revealed a few minor differences. The system is now better focused, with the last setup, the images were a bit more diffuse. There is just a bit more air and even a bit more low level resolution present. A slight increase in overall micro dynamics probably due to an even lower noise floor and a bump up in low level resolution.

The soundstage has seemed to increase by a small margin, mostly width wise. The depth has remained as before, fantastic.

There seems to be a calming effect on the sound, a more natural presentation much like any decent power conditioner would bring to the table only even more of it. My system has evolved quite a bit over the past year and has been simply the best I have ever had experienced in my own home so I am a bit hard to impress any more but the PurePower has managed to bump the performance up a notch. I am now able to run my whole system from one power conditioner and actually love the results.

I can't even imagine running a system without a quality power conditioner these days. The PPP will find use in other applications in the future for sure as it is also a great unit.

Overall I'd say the PurePower 2000 edges out the PPP by a small but significant to this hobby margin. If there are any other changes over the next few hundred hours, I will be sure to follow up.

The unit runs cool and silent so far. I am impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1468.jpg (99.3 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1469.jpg (96.5 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1474.jpg (91.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1475.jpg (97.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1476.jpg (98.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.jpg (96.1 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1478.jpg (96.9 KB, 214 views)