View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Final Update ... well things here have taken a bit of a turn...

As I got my power and isolation platform in place the k-01xs really took on a new personality. I also realized that I hadn't used the same interconnects with it that I had the EMM Labs so I fixed that also. Now I immediately noticed that the depth and width of the sound stage was every bit as good as the EMM Labs which is really saying something. The EMM Labs may have still had a bit of an edge on low level detail and placement of images but the Esoteric in my system now was more dynamic and the images were more solid. Both units sounds fairly neutral until you listen to them back to back then you realize that there is in fact a tad bit more warmth to the Esoteric than the EMM Labs. Some will like one better than the other as with certain music each sound has its merits. The EMM Labs still maybe had a taller sound stage but they are close. The Esoteric also is stronger in the bass department. Some of my friends I think liked the bass from the EMM Labs better saying it was more detailed but I thought the bass extension had plenty of detail with the Esoteric and I got hooked on the Authority and weight of the Esoteric. So ... maybe surprisingly to some, I got to where every time I went back to the EMM Labs I wasn't tapping my feet as much and getting as lost in the music as I was with the Esoteric. One thing is for sure... they are both great units but to me this underscores the incredible value the K=01XS brings to the table when it can even complete with a DAC of this calibre and price range. So...the EMM Labs has found a new home and I'm a happy Esoteric listener now. There is a footnote here ... I called Ivan to discuss options and you can guess what happened next ... I now have a D-02X on the way after the first of the year which we believe will take the sound to the next level. Once that gets settled in I'll probably swap out the K-01XS as a transport for the P-02X to fully unlock the potential of my CD and small but growing SACD collection.

So .. that's a wrap folks and hope all of you have a wonder Merry Christmas and an awesome New Year!

George