View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......That upgrade sounds like a bargain, too. You also mentiuoned the Magnum Dynalab MD205 Signal Sleuth. I have one that I am presently using with a McIntosh MR74 tuner. It improves the signal quality of at least eight stations that used to be fringe and objectionably noisy. The MD205 is worth it's price of $440.00.
I was leaning toward going for the conversion (not upgrade) to the 100; but the Sleuth is less money (though not a huge difference). This is why the antenna angle is important. If moving the Day-Sequerra around doesn't get much traction, that would lend some weight to experiences I've had with amplified antennas; they were of limited help. But that was a different apartment, and the 205 is a different animal and probably more powerful than what I used in those other circumstances. Reception in general is dicey in this area so I'd want the best solution. NYC is a beast.

Here, therefore, is my plan. As before, I want to try repositioning the DS antenna, despite limited placement options. But depending upon those results, I will contact Magnum Dynalab and seek feedback on which option (MD205 or MD 100 conversion) offers the most bang. Or maybe I get both, even.

And away I go . . .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks