View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Just noticed this post. We sure are running our Inspires in different configurations. Running 6V6 in single ended triode mode will probably produce about 4 watts per channel, maybe 4.5 wpc.

I know people who love that setup.

No need for a switch as you are running in both single-ended and triode. Switches are typically employed to switch between triode and ultralinear, which usually doubles the power output. My Inspire is single-ended pentode.

I do have a triode tube amp, but it is push-pull, producing about 18-20 wpc with two EL34/6CA7/KT77 tubes per channel.
My KT88 (non-triode) puts out about 5wpc using a 6V6. Wired for triode I wouldn't expect more than 2-3wpc. I would expect maybe 6-8wpc from a triode wired KT77.

There are some inherent compromises when choosing low-powered single ended amps. We must choose very high efficiency (>98dB) speakers with their demands on space and presentation, or we must accept the ultimate limitations in output for speakers of moderately high (90-96dB) efficiency. One workaround is to compromise: choose a speaker we like but has 90-96dB efficiency and/or choose an amp with greater output. I have found my PSE to be a near-ideal compromise at ~20wpc. I get 13 dB of gain which allows me to listen at 85dB (relative nearfield) and have 20dB of headroom with speakers of 92dB.

One challenge is to get the bass power we like with low powered tube amps. Most high-efficiency drivers are ill-suited for deep bass reproduction. And those that are well-suited (like big JBL drivers) still like a bit more power than their stated efficiency would suggest. My personal approach has been to focus on getting everything above 50hz right using my tube gear and turning to the brute-force method of active bass support.