View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Compared directly to the LP12, many tables can sound clinical and without soul.
I have had a LP12 for years and loved it but when I sold it that was because I was looking for a faster, leaner and more neutral sound. The LP12 sound is charming for sure but it is far from neutral : the bass sounds almost the same on all the records for example. Moreover, it lacks some dynamics compared to the Rega. But overall, I agree with your analysis. Their sound is very different and the Rega is clearly brighter. Where I do not agree is about the "no soul" thing. I find the Rega being extremely neutral, yet, very musical.
The Rega is faster, more dynamic and "tight", and more neutral.
Still, I consider the LP12 SE to be one of the best musical TT ever made.
I have a high mass design TT ( Clearaudio Champion level II ) and the very low mass Rega P9. In a perfect world I would add a third one : a suspended design like the LP12SE or the SME 20/3. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. A record can sound very good in only one of them and rather poor on the others.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I agree, Jérôme, you've summed it up very well. I guess I wouldn't classify my Rega as bright, but more forward than my Michell. Bear in mind though that I am using a step-up transformer and they tend to smooth out highs nicely. I completely agree about dynamics, my Michell lacks dynamics compared to my P5, the P5 is dynamic and punchy, however for classical, particularly full orchestra, the Michell's sweetness and smoothness makes a nicer presentation than the P5, which is bit too forward. The Michell doesn't have the bass tightness and output of the P5, but it has greater "air" and spaciousness. I think both are very musical, just in different ways.

I agree they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I enjoy listening to both of mine very much. Also think for that the price the P5 sold for, even at it's original MSRP of $1395, it's an amazingly good table for the money and competes with tables in the >$5000 price range, and I could easily live it as my only table and be very, very happy.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-28-2012 at 02:04 AM.