View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ringler View Post
Sorry to be the negative voice in the universe, but my experience with Rega's P-9 a number of years ago contradicts the general consensus. I found the Rega cold and clinical, bright with no "soul" : basically a sterile, clinical sound. I coupled it with a Rega exact and Koetsu Onyx. Electronics were Conrad Johnson driving Pro-Ac Response 2's. There was no comparison between the Rega deck and a current Linn Sondek LP12 I had at the time. The Rega was simply not in the same league! Oh well, as they say, that's what makes horse races (whatever that means).
Not been my experience that Regas are cold and clinical. VPIs? Yes. Regas? No.

I would agree that suspended tables have a warmer more liquid presentation, but there's absolutely no way in which I would refer to my P5 as cold and clinical. I would say the Rega has a more upfront, punchy, dynamic presentation, a table that kicks the jams out more, my Michell is smoother, warmer, more liquid. I like both very much, but they're kind of like red wines....the Rega is Cabernet, the Michell Pinot Noir.

I'd say the Rega is better for rock and pop, the Michell better for classical, both about the same for jazz.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-28-2012 at 01:59 AM.