View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
Yep. Fuses don't blow for no reason at all. Something is causing too much current draw - a.k.a. - bad tube somewhere. Did you notice if any of the tubes had plates glowing orange/red? I had some 6L6's and 300B's do that, but it didn't phase the amps one bit luckily.
Charles, I've looked at them carefully and checked the bias and I didn't notice anything wrong. One has a slight blue hue but I read that it was normal.

Anyway I don't trust them anymore.

Quote:
I had a pair of 5U4's that rattled in an old amp that I overhauled for one of my brothers. I replaced them with some RCA 5U4 GT's (used narrower, taller plates) and the rattle went away.
I know you're right because the rattling has changed side ! I need to try to see if it's coming from the output tube or the driver. I'll make some tests

Quote:
I had some EH 6CA7's for an old Consonance M-100 SE I had years ago. They sounded better than any of the EL34's and KT88's I tried regardless of being new or NOS.

On a side note, I've always felt that if you're going to own tube gear, it would be a good idea to invest in a decent solid state tube tester. I have one, though no tube gear now. Go figure. LOL
Matt has told me by PM that Manley says to use 12AX7 with the 6CA7. I don't know if it can damage anything if I use the 12AT7 that are currently installed.

I'm just a beginner with tubes so I'm learning along.