View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Charles,

I can see how you could get upset. I've been upset for the same reason over speakers and equipment that I enjoy. On another forum, someone was literally comparing a $300 Yamaha to 10K+ Pass Labs saying the Yamaha was noticeably better. I just figured they escaped from a mental hospital and didn't even respond. It was clear what the Yamaha owner was up to. And this was sometime before I even owned Pass gear (though I had heard it numerous times before).

However, some people's motives are purer than that. We have to consider the personality and life experience of the person asking the questions. For instance, as a former homicide detective I normally ask rather direct questions. Some can get offended at the form of the questions at times, but it's just how I'm use to asking questions. Most of the time I want facts not opinions, but if you include an opinion then tell me the "why" behind it. And if you don't have any "whys" then you can expect me to challenge the answer - as this is my previous life experience.

Also most when they compare speakers they automatically compare them to what they know best or at least have some knowledge of. If a Martin Logan speaker owner was in a Magico forum I would be expecting him to automatically compare Magico with what he knew best i.e. Martin Logan.

And some threads within the Wilson forum aren't just about Wilson. For instance, in the Wilson thread I participated in it was about Wilson, Vivid, and Magico too. So, I felt as if I could discuss any of them freely.

I really like Wilson. I like the sound. My wife and I we really like the look as well. They are very distinctive looking. And because of my life experience I want to know why I like something (how are they built) and will they stay that way (durability, quality). I really desire to know about their cabinet structure, drivers, and why they use a ported design, etc. But in asking my questions you can expect some comparing and contrasting to what I know best, as that is my frame of reference. It's how I learn. But all those questions are now being answered elsewhere...

So, while I know some cross-post to elevate their branded speaker not everyone is about that. Some have a genuine interest.
I know it will never happen because some folks thrive on controversy but I think threads that ask for direct comparisons invite irritation because it invites folks to come on a Forum just as you said. I hope that you will understand I meant no ill will. I think Magico a great speaker and I truly mean this, not just mouthing it.