View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
So funny, in my Inspire Firebottle Universal SET I just swapped out my KT150's and Sophia 274B for Haltron 6V6 and a Sylvania VT244 (5u4G) and it sounds absolutely wonderful!

Might have to try the el84's. I've never cottoned to that tube like so many others in our hobby have. In fact, I've sold every el84 amp I've ever purchased, and somewhat quickly. I love it as a guitar amp tube but, again, have never really fallen in love with it as a hifi/audio tube. Still, I have a bunch of el84's that are gathering dust, including a quad of Mullards, so may have to give it a shot...

I was convinced I'd never take the KT150's/274B out but, as happens during the quarantine, was procrastinating and avoiding work so decided to mix things up. Man, am glad I did. On mellower stuff--listening to Brazilian Gal Costa right now--there is a smoothness, subtleness and, dare I say it, delicacy to the presentation that I guess I was sort of missing with the 150's.

ANyhow, good advice: keep as many tubes on hand as you can!

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts about 6V6 vs. 6L6. I have some of the metal ones and the cheap Russians that Dennis recommended me.

BTW, the Sophia 6SN7's are definitely settling down. Thus far, I like them but am pretty sure I've got plenty of vintage 6SN7 that sound just as good. They do appear to be stable--I'm not having much microphony UNLESS I touch the tubes while playing, which thankfully I don't often do!
I like the old 6L6G/GA tubes and 6V6's in my PSE. However, tube preference is not universal and depends on the rest of your system. You have to experiment

Methinks your Sophia Blues are still settling in.

Did you try the Sophia 274B with the Haltrons?