View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Thanks, Christian! My new SA-10 is definitely malfunctioning, & Ivan has ordered a replacement. I don't have a streaming setup, but it will only play odd-numbered tracks (files) from the USB thumb drives I have plugged in! (Multiple drives, file formats, resolutions & sources...) It displays an "Unsupported" error for all the even-numbered tracks, sometimes accompanied by scary-loud static that had me fearing for my speakers! Also the "Repeat All" setting got ignored for many discs, requiring lots of "trial & error" to find discs I could successfully use for break in.

Actually I hope it's defective, as I HATE the way it sounds on red book CD's, (very shrill, one-dimensional, bodiless instruments & voices, and a congealed mess when more than a few instruments/voices are playing simultaneously) & find its SACD sound OK but disappointing (similar, but much milder.) Given everything I've read, that isn't the way it should sound. It does have better soundstage depth than my Esoteric X-05 had, but in every other way sounds inferior.

It may take a few months to get a replacement unit – I'm hoping for the best...

With the descriptives you use, there’s gotta be something seriously amiss with the one you received.

A thread on another forum recommends turning off digital outputs and the headphone amp if you don’t plan on using them and suggested the sound quality improved. I’ve always had mine off but they’re on by default if I recall correctly.

Good luck and I hope the situation is resolved quickly!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables