View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Yeah, in 1989, I had already owned five different pairs of Magneplanar/Magnepan speakers - and I remember that my Tympani speakers all had prodigious bottom end.- But, then I'm really old!

I wonder what a pair of Tympani type (three panel) speakers with today's Magnepan technology would sound like - I'll bet they would light up Carnegie Hall.

I wish I'd kept my Tympani IVa speakers that I was happily using in 1989! They surely filled a room (both with their physical size and the music they produced)
While I stop short of calling myself a true hobbyist for several reasons, whenever I've been to Lyric (or any other audio store for that matter) it was always fascinating to see all the equipment on display, most at prices I couldn't relate to, never mind afford. And I could get a sense of why this is a real hobby for many.

As I say, I never actually met Mr. Kay but did see him in the store once, perhaps twice, and knew who he was. I trust that the current owners will take care of his "baby," and Lyric will probably be my go-to store for any future Mac gear I might buy (considering a Mac preamp, should I decide to replace my ARC).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks