View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback and description of your listening session and comparison.

Just wanted to add a few observations of my own since I have owned and enjoyed Gumby for exactly two months now and it has 60dx24h=1,440 hrs of burn in and break in. Gumby and I suspect other Schiit multibit DACs start to bloom past the 3 week (approx 500hr ) period for sure.

Yet there are small but noticeable changes that take place way past that time frame. Mostly in the further smoothing and relaxing of the highs and further and complete disappearance of hardness or glare of new digital gear mostly noticeable in upper mids and highs.

Having said that Gumby never sounded like it added artificial sibilance to begin with while with other digital gear it may never go away. That used to drive me crazy before to the point I had to find refuge in tubed CDP like the EAR/Yoshino to smooth out the sound but it came at the expense of loss of natural frequency extension, sparkle and transient crispness. I do not yearn for tubed sources with Gumby. It indeed sounds analog, natural and without apologies or sacrifices.

As far as the bass. A bit light at first to being a bit ripe after few hundred hours to articulated and impressively deep after the initial burn in of at least 500-600 hrs. Gotta have patience with Schiit DACs for sure.

Looking forward to your further thoughts and Yggdrasil comparison at some point and always let your ears be the judge, Schiit DACs appeal to many but certainly system synergy and personal preference will take precedence over anything anyone else can or will say. Schiit DAC is not the "universal" solution for everyone, not one piece of audio gear is, but Gumby certainly plays some great music.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.