Thread: Avp1hd
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Listener in Training

When the MX150 comes out, it should be at a point where it's basically 100% up to date with the latest standards, at least for what I'm seeking. HDMI 1.3a, room correction, etc. It should have a relatively long production run since there doesn't seem to be any new earth-shattering A/V standards on the horizon. Of course, if I'm missing something here please chime in. I also write that as someone who uses my system for music 90% of the time, and regards the multi-channel and video aspects of the system as rounding out the core stereo capabilities.

The Blu-Ray and HD standards are relatively new, so their life cycles (1080p HD standard more than the medium of Blu-Ray itself) have years to play out. As much as I'm a fan of innovation and progress, it's likely these standards will be in place for a long time. They are high-quality, and when you look at the phenomenon of iPod/iTunes/MP3, the case for incremental quality increases, and interconnect improvements is more a case of decreasing returns than ever. Contrary to this is the industry's need for a new format, interconnect, or standard, etc. to make your current gear obsolete.

Maybe in 20 years I'll laugh at this post for being unimaginative, but I certainly expect to still be listening to my 501s and B&Ws at the very least.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable